Ubisoft Toronto Inc.
224 Wallace Avenue. M6H 1V7
Location of position: Toronto, Ontario
Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original & memorable entertainment experiences. We build worlds that are a playground for the imagination, offering moments of surprise, fun and adventure as well as opportunities for learning and self-discovery. At Ubisoft, you’ll grow and collaborate with highly talented teams from around the world. Our massively friendly work environment will inspire you to go above and beyond to create worlds people will fall in love with. Whether as an elite spy, a master assassin, or a fearless explorer, we put the player at the heart of all our games.
Established in 2010, Ubisoft Toronto is a growing and diverse team on a collective mission to create what’s next in AAA open world games. The studio announced its first new IP at E3 2017, Starlink: Battle for Atlas, an all-new, action-adventure game where players assemble customizable controller-mounted starships and launch into epic, interplanetary adventures. The Toronto team is also hard at work on Far Cry 5 in collaboration with Ubisoft Montreal. The studio shipped its first lead production, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell® Blacklist™, to critical acclaim in 2013. Since then, the Toronto team has contributed to multiple award-winning Ubisoft brands including: Assassin’s Creed®, Far Cry®, Watch Dogs®, and For
Ubisoft Toronto was honoured in 2017 as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for the second consecutive year.
The individual is an artist responsible of developing a game feature. In addition of having strong artistic abilities, it is required to have strong technical abilities.
By working with others members inside a multi-disciplinary team, the Technical Artist is in charge of developing a complex feature of the game in an autonomous way, starting at the beginning until the shipping of the game. Acting as a reference on the project, they will help and support peers, if requested.
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time.
The main responsibilities of this position are to:
· Realize high visual benchmarks, optimized and by respecting the technical constraints;
· Collaborate effectively with other team disciplines, predominantly animation and animation code.
· Assist character artists with skinning and rigging of characters, including setups for facial animation.
· Test the chosen engine or to develop, ask for development if needed;
· Help and support the Artistic Director and the Technical director in graphic developments choices based on his own artistic and technical expertise;
· Use the best tools and methods for improving and facilitating the graphic workload and share best practices;
· Give training sessions for every team member as they can be sure to use tools and methods correctly;
· Integrate, validate and optimize graphic data in the engine by using scripts if needed;
· Participate in reviews;
· Insure that graphic bugs are fixed according to their priorities and support the other artists to find solutions;
· Carry out all other related tasks.
Bachelor or College Degree in 3D Art or Animation or equivalent training or work experience.
· Minimum 3+ years as a Modeler, Level Artist, SFX Artist, Lighter or Character Modeler in video game.
· Participated in at least 2 full productions cycles.
· Games industry experience is preferred, having shipped title(s) on PS3, 360, PC.
· 3+ years of applicable professional experience as a technical artist/TD/tools programmer.
· Relevant experience using 3d Studio Max in a technical art role is desirable.
· Design and implement efficient character/weapon/vehicle rigs.
· Character skinning and physics simulation setup.
· Python programming is a prerequisite for the role.
· Experience in other scripting and programming languages (Maxscript, C# / C++, etc.) is a big plus.
· Knowledge of facial rigging is a definite plus.
· Strong communication and organizational skills.
· Effective time management skills to meet deadlines without sacrificing quality.
· Mentoring other technical artists.
· Competitive Salary
· Comprehensive Benefits Package:
o Disability Insurance
o Dental Insurance
o Extended medical insurance
o (Optional) RRSP contribution
o Bonus (If Applicable)
Why Ubisoft Toronto?
Scored by The Economist as the Best City to Live, our studio is located in the trendy Junction Triangle located in West Toronto, close to TTC, the hottest bars and restaurants, and excellent coffee shops. We celebrate successes as a team at our monthly UbiBash events, and invite our families to events throughout the year including our annual Kids Holiday Party and Summer BBQ. We give back to help make our community better through our team volunteer days and fundraising activities. We hold regular game jams to fuel our team’s creativity. Ubisoft Toronto conducts annual performance reviews to help our team develop their careers and grow with our studio, and provides the opportunity for salary increases annually as part of the performance review process. Ubisoft Toronto also offers a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training and career development, flexible days, on-site Yoga and Bootcamp classes, fresh fruit, Life Drawing classes, as well as spontaneous team surprises such as Pi Day, Star Wars Day, and Halloween.
We hunt for talent from across the industry – seasoned experts that know what it takes to ship world-class games and the next generation of game developer all-stars. We value team chemistry and a desire to grow our studio together. If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for? Apply to join us now!
Ubisoft Toronto is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested parties. The studio welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation upon request for candidates taking part in the recruitment process. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.