Surveillance roles are responsible for the identification and management of undesired risk activities including conduct risk and financial crime risk. They are responsible for integrating prescribed and required forms of surveillance in the business, complimentary to existing process/systems.
The key area of focus will be the implementation of the conduct surveillance and analytics strategy across Business Line(s) in order to identify misconduct of our staff and our counterparties.
Role holder will carry out activities which will include most of the below:
· Identify potential new forms of staff or counterparty misconduct.
· Determine whether these could be identified through the surveillance team's current systems, processes, people and the data sets surveilled.
· In liaison with the Change Team, prioritise the development of the systems, processes, people and data sets needed to (better) identify these new forms of misconduct for their business/asset class.
· Input into and track the development of these new surveillance capabilities.
· Deal with the alerts once they have already been passed through a first (level one) filter by the offshore team.
· Ensure that all alerts are satisfactorily escalated and resolved.
· Provide support and guidance for our expanding off-shoring function
· By looking across the alerts (ie holistically) identify improvements the way in which alerts are generated to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the surveillance process.
· Carry out in investigations requested by Regulators, senior management and the businesses/asset classes into certain practices, businesses, individuals and events. Escalate, as appropriate, any material findings or incidents of misconduct highlighted by these investigations.
· Coordinate or produce regular MI reports to key internal stakeholders including analysis of the MI.
· Foster a close relationship with key front office and support function stakeholders.
· Assist team members with the implementation and roll-out of a new surveillance tools and models.
· Present surveillance output at internal control and governance forums.
· Support the Surveillance team in the resolution of audit and control findings
· Liaise with change management and technology and aid surveillance in delivery.
· Analyse and explore multiple data types in order to identify anomalies and patterns of risk
· Understand financial products and HSBC's business processes around these
· Work across various technology platforms (surveillance, analytics, trading platforms, etc.)
Impact on the Business
· Provide subject matter expertise to support and drive the expansion of the surveillance programs covering Global Banking, Global Research, HSBC Securities Services, and Commercial Banking.
· Imperative escalation of potential regulatory and internal misconduct breaches to Compliance Senior Management.
· Improve overall efficiency of the process and individual performance within the team.
· Influence the behavior of the business and its support functions by acting as a deterrent.
· Challenge existing surveillance tools and models and contribute to the creation and development of new models and detection tools.
· Perform ad-hoc trading reviews.
Customers / Stakeholders
· Develop strong relationships with the first line of defense (Front-office, Operations, Product Control, Market Risk) and RC Advisory teams.
· Engage and collaborate with the global Surveillance team.
· Deliver fair outcomes for our customers and ensure own conduct maintains the orderly and transparent operation of financial markets.
· Monitor and ensure adherence to agreed performance levels.
· Draw on relationships to deliver enhancements to the process and technology used by the surveillance program covering Global Banking, Global Research, HBSC Securities Services and Commercial Banking.
· Produce high quality Management Information in order to facilitate meaningful and actionable dialogue with stakeholders in a timely manner.
Leadership & Teamwork
· Support achievement of the HSBC vision, values, goals and culture in personal behavior, actions and decision making.
· Take personal responsibility for understanding and agreeing performance expectations, completing the necessary mandatory training and developing the levels of capability and competence needed to be effective in the role.
· Contribute to team development, effectiveness and success by sharing knowledge and good practice, working collaboratively with others to create a productive, diverse and supportive working environment.
· Build and maintain teams with effective inter-personal dynamics.
· Ability to act proactively and multitask.
· Desire to pass on skills for the good of the team and learn from the other team members.
· Self - motivated, enthusiastic and proven rapid learning capability.
· Actively participate in team meetings, bringing solutions / suggestions / recommendations to the table.
· Ability to work unsupervised and efficiently prioritize.
· Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively with both Compliance and Business Management.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
· Suggest ideas and contribute to implementing actions that will improve customer service, quality or the way teams and individuals work together.
· Adhere to HSBC policy, procedures and control requirements applicable to day-to-day working, exceptional and project activities, and raise any concerns about actual or potential issues promptly, in line with reporting and escalation procedures.
· Identify gaps in process documentation and address these effectively.
· Maintain issues log and track progress in a timely manner.
· Ability to work in a methodical manner.
· Ability to support decisions with sound reasoning.
· Ensure robust and timely record keeping, evidencing monitoring activities undertaken and action taken.
· Maintain the HSBC internal control standards including the timely implementation of internal and external audit points, together with any issues raised by external regulators.
Ideal candidate profile
· Demonstrable experience (5 years or more) in a role supporting a Global Banking business, which may include a Control Room role.
· A strong understanding of US regulations related to Global Banking, Commercial Banking, Global Research or Securities Services.
· An understanding of financial markets and traded products.
· Ability to support decisions with sound reasoning. Ability to clearly articulate business and regulatory implications of analysis and findings.
· Strong analytical skills.
· Evidence of collaboration with key stakeholder functions.
· Evidence of engagement in project management / change initiatives.
· Strong communication and negotiating skills.