Zodiac Aerospace is a world leader in aerospace equipment and systems for commercial, regional and business aircraft, as well as helicopters and space applications.
Inspector is responsible for all phases of quality assurance and control. This includes but is not limited to performing receiving, in-process and final inspections. Must coordinate with vendors/suppliers and appropriate personnel to define and control non-conforming material and facilitate remedial action or replacement of defective material or equipment. Inspector calibrates inspection gauges and instruments using established procedures. May assist customers’ Quality Representatives in performance of inspection and quality checks as required. Responsibility includes maintaining appropriate records of inspections and remedial actions. Supporting government submissions as well as performing certain programming tasks. Execute tasks and provide support to inspection coordinator, quality manager and team as required.
Execute specific QA activities such as:
· The DMR (Defective Material Reports) and QDR (Quality Defective Reports)
· Support the testing & inspecting of raw and in-process materials
· Program and operate mechanical testing equipment and perform other technical inspection related functions
· Perform inspection and evaluation on customer returned property and generate quality report as required.
· Validate quality processes by reviewing product specifications and quality attributes; measuring & monitoring production; documenting evidence; writing and updating quality assurance procedures
· Ballooning drawings to facilitate inspection and reduce cycle time
· Support day to day technical issues that arise in quality and production
· Coordinate activities such as product testing, inspecting, and auditing with internal customers
· Coordinate/perform activities around government submissions, by reviewing specifications, material certifications and other contract requirements with assistance of quality coordinator, quality technician or designee
· Perform source inspections as needed by department
· Perform internal audits as needed by the department
· Support the investigation of problems and root cause analysis
Support the activities of the Quality Coordinator, Quality Manager and Quality Technicians as required.
Maintain QA documentation as needed, including:
· QA procedures and forms
· Inspection records
· Calibration records
· QA metrics
Provide Quality Assurance support as required to other departments.
· Identifying improvement initiatives and working on projects using the appropriate lean tools to execute and improve problem areas within the department or other internal customers
· Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
High School diploma or equivalent required. 2 year technical degree preferred. Familiarity with ISO 9000 and Lean standards preferred. Exposure to AS9100 and military standards such as MIL-Q-9858 and MIL-I-45208 preferred. Must be familiar with PC-based programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel and Access. Must have strong mathematical aptitude; ability to review and understand inspection requirements; and write reports. Familiarity with quality testing equipment and devices, including mechanical testing machines preferred. A minimum of an 8th grade reading level and a 10th grade math level are required. Ability to read technical drawings and specifications preferred.
Other training such as successful completion of an apprenticeship program in a trade occupation can also be used as evidence of this knowledge and these skills.
Position also requires knowledge of production processes and practices to apply written and verbal instructions, and to monitor and coordinate work. Good interpersonal skills are required to advise others on following procedures and work in groups effectively. Incumbent must have demonstrated ability to successfully communicate work instructions and process information to co-workers and work leaders. He or she must also have basic computer operation skills to manipulate applications similar to Lotus Notes and access production control systems such as Hyperion or M3. Incumbent must also have demonstrated ability to read and interpret safety rules; instructions on standard procedures and equipment maintenance; and manuals furnished in written, oral, or schedule form.
* He or she physically moves materials, supplies, and work in process to designated places within the facility using manual effort, pallet jacks, and forklifts as required . Incumbent must be a qualified forklift operator; and be able to use manual effort to perform heavy lifting of up to 50 lbs. or more, on a continuous basis . Required to stand and work in extremes heat for up to 10 hours daily .
Complexity of Duties
Position involves a wide variety of duties requiring a working knowledge of company policies and procedures. Duties include working independently towards resolution of problems and completion of programs, adopting standard procedures to meet new conditions and making decisions based on established standards and Company policy.
The work of this position is done on a standard work tour and schedule in an environment where the incumbent is exposed to elements such as odors, machinery noises, dust, extreme heat & cold and chemicals. He or she must follow all safety procedures to avoid injury to him/her or others while correctly applying procedural information.
Responsibility for Errors
Errors may be serious, involving loss of production, reduced quality level, waste of material, contractual delays, or damage to equipment. Effect usually confined within the Company.
Responsibility for Relationships With Others
Regular contact with other departments, some contact with customers (including military and civilian staff of U.S. and foreign governments) and suppliers. Furnishing or obtaining information from the above parties requires tact to avoid friction. Outside contacts require a high degree of judgment and the ability to deal with and influence individuals in varying positions without creating a negative company image.
Type of Supervision
Incumbent receives general supervision, and works from established instructions, procedures, and guidelines. He or she does not have responsibility for supervising others, but directs and coordinates work.
Incumbent may be required to perform other duties/responsibilities not specifically listed in this position guideline.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Statement
It is the policy of Zodiac Aerospace to provide equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual preference, gender identity, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability, military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetics, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, and local laws. We are strongly committed to this policy and believe in the concept and spirit of the law.
If you are applying for a job in the United States and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please email our Human Resources Department at and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address.