The Materials Planner is responsible for ensuring components and services are delivered to Tesla job sites to support production needs, at optimal efficiency. This individual must fully understand Tesla’s supply chain and production operations, as well as be an expert on their assigned product or commodities. They will deploy inventory strategies, be responsible for product change and associated material planning implications, manage and solve exceptions, and drive supplier execution. This role involves daily management of supply and constraints, status reporting and escalation, supplier engagement and the relentless pursuit of operational excellence and continuous improvement. The Materials Planner role is typically global in scope, and requires cross-functional engagement within Tesla and across the extended supply chain.
· Create and deploy supply requirements to the supply base via MRP which achieves production, inventory and cost objectives. Ensure demand from all markets is supported appropriately.
· Manage planning system parameters and master data to optimally reflect supply chain capabilities and plan supply.
· Apply analytics and supply chain expertise to manage system parameters and meet target inventory and service level goals while minimizing costs and obsolescence.
· Build and maintain operational partnerships with assigned suppliers.Act as the primary interface with suppliers on delivery status, issues and resolution.Escalate to commercial or technical partners when required (GSM, accounts payable, quality, engineering, etc.).
· Support on-boarding and training of new suppliers to ensure operational excellence and compliance with Tesla’s supply chain processes and policies.
· Coordinate supplier ramp up and down for new product launches, ensuring suppliers deliver shipments needed to support production targets.
· Deliver clear-to-build status, material coverage, run-out reports and other analyses as needed.Provide data-driven decision support to the broader organization through what-if and scenario planning (as examples).
· Manage engineering changes to minimize obsolete inventory and ensure continuous supply.
· Partner with IT and other business stakeholders on planning process and system improvements.
· Minimum of 3 years experience in manufacturing , finance, or supply chain management.
· Bachelors or Masters in Supply Chain, Finance, Industrial Engineering and/or equivalent experience. CPIM or APIC training is a plus.
· Evidence of exceptional ability.
· Strong knowledge of MRP/ERP with a solid understanding of discrete manufacturing, bills of material, product lifecycle management, procure to pay processes and supply chain operations.
· Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills in developing, implementing, and assessing key operational and financial metrics. Strong critical thinking and resolution skills in ambiguous situations.
· Ability to evaluate and analyze data to enable operational decision-making or present clear recommendations to leadership.
· Demonstrated skills in supplier operational and relationship management.
· Passionate and high energy, with the diplomacy and cooperative style necessary to positively influence others, both inside and outside of Tesla.
· Excellent communication skills, Detail-oriented and organized.
· Ability to work independently on multiple tasks and projects in a dynamic, fast paced environment. Flexibility and adaptability are key.