30 - Graduate Entry Level
Characterization & Modeling M/F
STMicroelectronics Imaging Division develops CMOS imaging and light sensing solutions for a wide range of markets. Unique CMOS image sensors and light detection sensors are developed separately or in conjunction with companion ASICs, resulting in a complete imaging and sensing solution recognised as world leading in performance. This market is a growth area within semiconductors. The EOCS (Electro-Optical Characterization and Simulation) team is a multi-site, international team within the Technology for Optical Sensors Group. The team works closely with the Design, Technology Research and Development, Engineering and Marketing teams in the definition and development of image sensor technologies, camera systems and light sensing and ranging technologies. The group expertise lies in the areas of sensor technology, camera system specification and electro-optical performance assessment. One vital part of this function is to provide device and technology characterization and simulation data to support the decision making required to help direct the technology development.
The Sensor Technology Characterization and Simulation Engineer has unique challenges, such as merging optical and electrical characterization and systems understanding, as well as critical interpretation of image quality and its translation into quantitative parameters. This challenging role provides an opportunity for an electronics engineer to broaden their field of expertise or an optics specialist to work more closely with electronics.
As Sensor Technology Characterization and Simulation Engineer, you will provide electro-optical characterization and simulation data to support the development activities of the Technology and Product Design Groups. Initially this involves familiarization with existing techniques and methods. You will make measurements, develop analysis and assessment flows, develop optical system understanding, publish results, and establish their credibility. You will plan, develop and implement characterization and simulation techniques appropriate to both customer and internal organizational needs. You will strengthen and develop existing sensor characterization and simulation capabilities by assessment of new techniques, and their applicability to CMOS image and photonics sensors.
In particular, the role will encompass electro-optical characterization of Ambient Light Sensors. Ambient Light Sensors (ALS) are used in a variety of applications where information about the ambient light conditions is necessary to perform a function - this can range from dimming of a smartphone screen, to white balance correction, or setting camera integration times to avoid flicker artefacts. STMicroelectronics is a provider of state-of-the-art ALS solutions which include multi-spectral and flicker detection capabilities. A candidate with interest and/or experience working with ALS characterization or design would be very welcome.
The Key Skills & Experience
· Honours or Higher degree, electronics, electrical, optical engineering, physics or related field
· Working knowledge of semiconductor devices, silicon products and device measurement
· Understanding of available optical simulation tools and working knowledge of development of optical models and assessment of results.
· Demonstrable skills in programming, either directly in a high-level language or through a scripting language medium.
· Demonstrable experience in software instrument interfacing and control.
· Demonstrable understanding of designed experiment construction and experimental method.
· Clear communication skills and proven ability to work in a multi-disciplined environment.
· Understanding of the physics of light and light interaction with matter.
· Understanding of and working knowledge of optics and camera systems.
· Skilled in collating and reporting data and checking for consistency and accuracy.
· Experienced in use of MS Office package and especially capable in use of
· Excel for data analysis graphing and reporting.
· Matlab usage and programming experience
Additional Skills and Experience
· C/C++/Python programming experience
· Post graduate qualification in related field.
· Software development skills and understanding of software design methodologies.
· French language skills would be an advantage.
· Interest in and understanding of photography.
· Understanding of calibration, accuracy, repeatability and measurement traceability
· Understanding of database structures and competence in database system set-up, management and usage.
· Electronics measurement system design.
Europe, United Kingdom, Edinburgh
Education level required
5 - Master degree
Experience level required
Less than 2 years
Desired start date