Internship - Junior Toxicologist/ Ecotoxicologist (M/W)
As a global chemical player, Solvay (Net Sales 2015: EUR 12.4 billion; CAC40) develops and sells products and high-value solutions on a wide range of markets such as Consumer Goods & Healthcare, Building & Construction, Automotive & Aeronautics, Agro, Feed and Food.
Joining Solvay is working for a market leader in the chemical industry which major aim is to bring innovative solutions to its diverse range of customers. From research to marketing, Solvay's 30 000 employees are at the heart of the dynamics of this growing and changing international group resolutely committed to sustainable development.
Under the supervision of the manager of the “Toxicological and Environmental Risk Assessment” unit (“TERA”), you will be in charge of a project dealing with the “Evaluation of various strategy of screening concerning PBT / vPvB substances” . The information will be compared with the ecotoxicological screening criteria applied in different areas of the world. This proactive project will validate a methodology for the identification of substances of concern for the environment using the latest developments known or ongoing (e.g new selection criteria for substances in Europe related to the revision of the PBT ECHA guidance).
Your main roles and responsibilities will be:
· to conduct searches in scientific literature on the current tools ( i.e QSAR, PBT profiler,…) which are available to predict PBT or vPVB properties
· to evaluate the scientific relevance of these approaches
· to select , among a family of chemicals, a significant enough sample of representative substances based on chemical diversity, diversity of applications, toxicological and ecotoxicological profiles,..
· to compare the outcome of the various tools from a scientific point of view
· based on these results, to suggest an appropriate methodology
· to interact with in-house subject matter experts to share points of view
· Have a master degree or higher in one of the following fields: biology, chemistry, life sciences or related areas.
· Fluent in English, and French
· Ability to work rigorously and methodologically
· Confident acting within a team
· Eager to learn
· Computer literate e.g. Word, Excel, and mathematical models
· Experience in ecotoxicology (especially PBT properties of chemical substances) would be an advantage
· Duration : 6 mois
· Starting date : ASAP