Date: Oct 5, 2018
Location: Halifax, NS, CA
Software Developer - 26770
Gracenote - Canada Halifax, Nova Scotia
Gracenote a Nielsen Portfolio Company is looking for a Software Developer to join the Data Platform team. We process large amounts of Video, Music, and Sports data to power cutting edge products.
This role will be responsible for supporting the development of large Data Lake. We are looking for someone who is at the core a strong Developer, with experience processing large amounts of data. Ideal candidate will be someone who is passionate about design and development, and work within a team of Developers.
This position will be working with a team responsible for processing, storing, and reporting on large amounts of Video, Music, and Sports data as well as providing others access to it. Candidate should have exposure and experience in a wide range of technologies including Java and Scala. Cloud deployments (AWS, Azure), Big data platforms (Hadoop, Spark) and other associated technologies.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
· Be a key contributor in the design and development of a large Data Lake.
· Work as part of a team to plan, develop, and implement high quality software solutions within the required time-frames using a Scrum-based methodology
· Actively engage in technology & design decision making and support the systems you help build.
· Review code and champion best practices across the team.
· Troubleshooting, root causing, and fixing problems in a blameless environment
FOR THIS ROLE WE ARE LOOKING FOR INDIVIDUALS THAT HAVE:
· 2-5 years of experience
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
· Must have a CAN DO attitude
· Able to clearly communicate ideas to others, both technical and non-technical.
· Open to work on various technologies depending upon business needs.
· Must be a self-starter, self-motivated learner and have the ability to learn new technologies very quickly.
MUST HAVE TECHNICAL SKILLS:
· Can write clean code with high level of test coverage.
· A solid foundation in software development and software design principles.
· Good knowledge of Java, Scala, or Go.
· Good knowledge of Spark, Hadoop, and Hive.
· Must have a good understanding of databases (both relational and NoSQL)
· Must have excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communications skills
· Should have good problem solving and debugging skills.
· Experience with cloud environment and tools (Amazon AWS and its tools)
· Experience with DevOps tools (ansible, terraform etc.)
· Real-time stream processing and large data.
· Exposure to Big Data trends and patterns around building analytics on these platforms
Nielsen N.V. (NYSE: NLSN) is a global performance management company that provides a comprehensive understanding of what consumers Watch and Buy. Nielsen's Watch segment provides media and advertising clients with Total Audience measurement services across all devices where content — video, audio, and text — is consumed. The Buy segment offers consumer packaged goods manufacturers and retailers the industry's only global view of retail performance measurement.
By integrating information from its Watch and Buy segments and other data sources, Nielsen provides its clients with both world-class measurement as well as analytics that help improve performance. Nielsen, an S&P 500 company, has operations in over 100 countries that cover more than 90 percent of the world's population. For more information, visit www.nielsen.com
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.