A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there's more to being in business than just making a profit. That's the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it's never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It's about how you can grab everything that's within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It's about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we'll all be a little better off. It's that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world's best-loved brands: M&M's®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN'S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
The scope of the Material Handler is to handle all raw materials from the receiving to the pouring of the ingredients into bins (this includes both fine meals and liquids).
· Receive materials as they arrive and verify correct amounts of material were received, bulk trucks, rail cars, bagged ingredients, bulk liquid.
· Pouring up rework and ingredients – must be able to lift 50 pounds repeatedly.
· Unloading ingredient trucks and placing in proper location.
· Assist control room operator and shift manager as needed.
· Sample ingredients received using proper procedures and document.
· Conducting end-of-run counts on raw materials and month-end inventories.
· Assure dry flavor totes are regularly replenished. Load tote hangers with appropriate materials.
· Assure proper disposal of wet scrap from process room to trash room.
· Perform sieve analysis and document findings on regular schedule.
· Responsible for food safety requirements per Nutro’s QMP document for onboarding new associates and yearly food safety training.
· Participate and adhere to all food safety requirements, Quality Management Processes, and site safety programs ensuring that all standards are met.
· Demonstrate a quality culture in actions, words and spirit.
· Properly monitor trash, placing in compactor.
· Maintain receiving bay, liquid receiving bay, trash rooms, ingredients warehouse, DA 5 room and micro bin room, liquid storage rooms and batching tower.
Key Critical Competencies (Functional or Leadership)
· Dealing with Ambiguity
· Self Development
· Conflict Management
· Functional/Technical skills
· Peer Relationships
· Action Oriented
Decision Making Authority and Impact
· Responsible for reporting and following up on any observation that may impact associate safety and/or product Quality and Food Safety.
· Productive and safe work habits
· Actively participate in continuous improvement projects through proactive and reactive efforts including incident/root cause investigation and implementation of corrective/preventive actions pertaining to Q&FS and continuous improvement of plant operations.
Key Technical Knowledge and Functional Skills
· Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
· Strong communication skills.
· Ability to perform multiple tasks at one time with attention to detail.
· Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and role model effective team behavior.
Requirements and Preferred Experience
· High School Diploma or equivalent.
· One year of work experience, preferably in a food manufacturing environment
· Preferred forklift experience.
· Sufficient mobility, strength, flexibility, hearing, and sight to access all job relevant areas and perform routine activities as necessary to deliver required results.
· Some pushing/pulling, bending/stooping, and lifting (up to 50 lbs.) necessary
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Nearest Major Market: Kansas City