We are the in-house tax team for KPMG International (“KPMGI”). This is a unique opportunity to work in an internal rather than client-facing KPMG team.
KPMGI carries on business activities for the overall benefit of KPMG network firms, but does not provide professional services to clients. One of the main purposes of KPMGI is to facilitate the provision by KPMG network firms of high-quality audit, tax, and advisory services to their clients. For example, KPMGI establishes and facilitates the implementation and maintenance of uniform policies and standards of work and conduct by the KPMG network firms, and protects and enhances the use of the KPMG name and brand for the benefit of these entities.
The in-house tax team works on a wide and varied range of tax matters across direct and indirect tax. Some of the work is UK focused but much of the work is international, dealing with a variety of jurisdictions outside the UK. We drive the tax strategy, which means understanding KPMGI’s business requirements and interacting with a variety of internal and external stakeholders to provide tax advice and ensure that tax obligations are met around the world. The work is varied and we operate in a challenging and stimulating environment.
Like many in-house tax teams, KPMGI outsources its compliance and also appoints advisors to assist on specific projects. Where we use outside advisors, the tax team is responsible for actively managing the advisors, scoping their work, agreeing their fees, receiving and reviewing output and communicating findings and action points to the business.
Role and Responsibilities
We are looking for a full time assistant manager who will be based in Canary Wharf, London. The other members of the in-house tax team are all based in London except for the Head of Tax, who is based in the US. You will work predominately with the managers on the team. There is minimal travel required.
The successful applicant will demonstrate an entrepreneurial attitude by working on a variety of advisory and compliance projects. He or she will need to be capable of taking ownership of tasks and thinking through technical and business issues, and will relish a role which is constantly changing according to the needs of the business and the requirements of the KPMG network firms globally. We are however a close knot team and he or she will receive guidance and support from other team members to develop and grow in this dynamic environment.
Typically, projects involve interaction with other teams within KPMGI (e.g. commercial, legal, finance) and with the tax team at the relevant KPMG member firm. With the support and guidance of other in-house tax team members projects might include:
• Being responsible for tax compliance filings in a number of different jurisdictions, including overseeing the gathering of information, managing advisors and reviewing tax returns.
• Dealing with enquiries from local tax authorities.
• Assessing the corporate tax and VAT compliance obligations in various territories and coordinating with the finance team in order to gather relevant data and local tax advisors in order to fulfil any tax filing obligations.
• Assisting on a wide range of ad hoc advisory projects in the UK and overseas, including consideration of financial information and reading relevant legal documentation.
• Assisting with the practical implementation of ad hoc projects, both from a compliance process perspective and a one of transaction / project perspective.
• Monitoring the implementation of significant tax legislative changes around the world (e.g. BEPS) and assessing its impact on KPMGI’s tax position.
Qualifications and Skills
Qualified CTA or equivalent, with a corporate tax background. Some indirect tax experience preferred but not essential.
Experience and Background
• High level of drive and enthusiasm and a willingness to learn about new taxes.
• Enjoy working with individuals from diverse backgrounds around the world, and good at quickly building different networks according to the demands of each project.
• Strong team player but also capable of working independently and using initiative to find practical solutions to tax technical and business matters.
• Strong project management skills; enjoy dealing with issues crossing over multiple taxes and multiple jurisdictions.
• Ability to communicate effectively (internally and externally) both in writing and orally, with tax specialists and non-tax specialists, in the UK and overseas.
• UK and international tax knowledge and experience, including experience in tax compliance and reading financial information, and some knowledge of indirect taxes.