The mission of the IBM Research AI Interaction team is to leverage artificial intelligence to build intelligent interactive systems and visual experiences that help us study and understand Human-AI interaction, including the automation of human workflows and processes through AI.
We are exploring models and experiences that are explainable, trustable and learn from user interactions with the goal of informing the future design and construction of intelligent systems, tools, and platforms. These systems are designed to create new partnerships between people and machines to augment and scale human expertise in every industry, from healthcare to financial services to education.
We are searching for a Research Staff Member to join our AI Experience Lab, in Cambridge, MA to lead research agendas and to communicate results to both internal executive audiences and the academic community. We are looking for scientists with interest and expertise in human-computer interaction research, especially around systems incorporating AI/ML and crowdsourcing. You'll work with our interdisciplinary team of researchers, designers, and full-stack web developers to design and build systems, then use them to create and study novel human-AI interactions and answer open research questions in this space.
Recent examples of work from our team include studying how to automate the work of data scientists (https://autoai.mybluemix.net/), for AI-assisted human-driven data labeling, and in collaborative partially-observable games between Human/AI partners (ibm.biz/learnplay).
Auto req ID
Role ( Job Role )
State / Province
Primary job category
(0147) International Business Machines Corporation
Is this role a commissionable/sales incentive based position?
Up to 10% or 1 day a week
IBM Business Group
City / Township / Village
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
· Masters in Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Computer Science, Information Science & Technology, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, or related technical field
· Expertise and experience in programming in one or more of these languages: Python, Java, C, C++
· Advanced skill level in solving analytical problems using rigorous and quantitative approaches
· Familiarity or experience with qualitative and quantitative research methodologies (such as interviewing, running A/B experiments, etc) and associated data analysis
· Experience communicating your research in technical communities, such as publications in CHI, IUI, CSCW, WWW, NeurIPS, CVPR, ICML, ICLR, IJCAI, AAAI, KDD, or similar
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience
· PhD in Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Computer Science, Information Science & Technology, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, or related technical fields
· Experience creating and applying AI techniques specific to traditional machine learning and with standard machine learning techniques and frameworks including, but not limited to, Theano, Tensorflow, Caffe, Torch
· Experience with designing, building, and studying interactive systems
· User-centric design skills: such a wireframing, rapid prototyping, etc.
Secondary Job Category
Early Professional Track
Industry Early Professional
For additional information about location requirements, please discuss with the recruiter following submission of your application.
IBM Research Scientists are charting the future of Artificial Intelligence, creating breakthroughs in quantum computing, discovering how blockchain will reshape the enterprise, and much more. Join a team that is dedicated to applying science to some of today's most complex challenges, whether it's discovering a new way for doctors to help patients, teaming with environmentalists to clean up our waterways or enabling retailers to personalize customer service.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you're looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
About Business Unit
With more than 3,000 researchers in 12 labs located across six continents, IBM Research brings together hundreds of researchers who possess unparalleled industry expertise to address some of the world's most challenging problems. Join us as we do pioneering work in areas such as cognitive computing, augmented intelligence, quantum computing, and blockchain, to name a few.
IBM's greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.