Role Title: Fraud Systems Analyst
Business: Compliance, Financial Crime Threat Mitigation (FCTM)
New or Existing Role? New
· Financial Crime Threat Mitigation (FCTM) focuses on the specific financial crime threats the firm faces now and in the future, pioneering the techniques and technology that protect our business, our customers, and the many communities in which we operate from the harms associated with financial crime. FCTM harnesses intelligence, analytics, technology, investigation, information sharing, and public-private partnership to achieve this end, always seeking the most effective and efficient means. FCTM is also partnering with Financial Crime Compliance to build the case for a more efficient and effective regulatory approach by defining a potential new regulatory landscape based on practical, tested innovation and serving as a thought leader in the ongoing public debate on the future of regulatory compliance.
· The Product Management team ensures that essential systems and data are available to enable FCTM to conduct effective and efficient investigations and analytics. The team is proactive and future-looking, shaping financial crime technology and promoting its adoption across Compliance.
· In this role, the jobholder is responsible for:
· Supporting product owners in the development and delivery of fraud event platform roadmaps, taking account of all key risks and issues and ensuring investment decisions are in line with FCTM strategic vision.
· Coordinating effective stakeholder engagement and user interaction at all levels leading to informed and well-judged trade-offs and priority decisions to maximise business benefit.
· Supporting the drafting of requirements/use cases ensuring they are documented clearly and consistently.
· Provide support in managing the product backlogs and development requests so product owners can prioritise the delivery of benefits
· Support the management of the fraud event platform intake/engagement process, undertake discovery work to establish drivers and benefits of each request, provide coherent overview of each request to Product Owners to enable effective prioritisation and backlog grooming.
· Log and maintain JIRA tickets for each request, supporting relevant POD work and track progress with various stakeholders.
· Become a Data and Systems SME to understand critical data elements of Fraud Systems and how they ensure optimal performance and to understand system process and work flows to train and share knowledge with business users"
· Build strong relationships with Global and Regional fraud teams, and be a point of contact for information and knowledge.
· The role holder would also be responsible for establishing seamless, trusting and mutually supportive relationships with the other components of FCTM and Compliance.
· The role may require occasional nationwide or overseas travel.
Impact on Business
· To support the wider FCTM fraud teams in ensuring the fraud platforms continue to stay relevant, meet and exceed the current needs of the business team's requirements.
· Develop specialist knowledge of the product management process to support all new project and enhancement requests within the overall FCTM and Compliance objectives
· Gather relevant data, costs and requirements to enable accurate and balanced decisions to be made.
· Ensure requirements are communicated clearly, consistently and in context to HOST colleagues at all levels.
· Be pro-active and seek opportunities to improve the system usage by engaging with all relevant stakeholders and SME's in a collaborative manner.
Customers / Stakeholders
· Build networks and manage day-to-day relationships with all staff on technology related matters in Risk and Business.
· Collate requests from business and risk for intelligence or opportunities to leverage FCTM technology and data to help in the prioritisation process.
· Strengthen and broaden internal relationships with global functions, lines of business, regions, and countries who directly benefit from or interact with FCTM systems, including:
· Regional Product Management colleagues within FCTM
· FCTM managers and lead users
· Compliance stakeholders
· HOST colleagues
· Lines of business stakeholders
Determine stakeholder requirements and educate stakeholders on FCTM capabilities.
Leadership & Teamwork
· Provides support and direction at a global level and support at a regional level to the deployment of fraud event platforms within FCTM and Compliance.
· Establish and promote a learning culture focused on open feedback and continuous improvement.
· Pro-active and supportive of colleagues and able to demonstrate imitative and a logical approach to solving business issues.
· Develop and share knowledge across the FCTM function.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
· Ensure business and regulatory implications of system design and operation are proactively anticipated, considered and communicated throughout the lifecycle.
· Establish manual and automated technical processes to ensure and evidence rigorous adherence to Group policies and management of operational risk.
· Develop and present options to implement controls whilst retaining full benefit from investment in systems.
· Maintain sound understanding of key threats and system vulnerabilities and engage proactively with risk stewards to mitigate the impact of compromise.
· Global Fraud Product Management is going through a period of rapid and deep change both internally and externally. As global businesses are returning to growth and changing their business model to focus on digital, a fraud transformation project is being mobilised to better align the target operating model and make significant investment to enhance the first line of defence fraud mitigation capabilities.
· The immense amount of change internally and externally calls for the job holder to be alert and adaptable to developing requirements, whilst also delivering challenging targets.
Maintaining a global perspective, but with particular consideration of regional distributions (staff, budgets, resources, operations) and the impact of these; and ensuring a proportionate balance in each region.
Helping to co-ordinate and managing a uniform approach to operations, in view of disparate operating procedures already in operation (within the organization and within departments) and the unique issues, requirements and problems associated with each.
· Understanding the highly complex and constantly changing landscape of investigative & analytic technology and data to minimise duplication and maximise benefit.
· Gather all relevant information to help prioritise potentially divergent and conflicting requirements from a broad range of senior stakeholders and ensuring that the stakeholder community remains supportive of the overall direction.
· Engaging effectively with a very diverse set of stakeholders from across FCTM and Compliance.
· Due to the nature of the role there is limited direct financial responsibility. However, the largest fraud/financial crime events in the wholesale banking environment have the potential to result in losses of billions of dollars, so the indirect financial impact of the role is highly significant.
· The role holder must be able to work comfortably within a fluid and developing framework. The role holder will be expected to demonstrate considerable entrepreneurial spirit to obtain the necessary knowledge and identify and realise opportunities. The role holder will be subject to sensitive, and therefore risky, information and must exercise sound judgement in protecting it and must adhere to all relevant rules and regulations.
· The role holder will be required to support the product owners leading the fraud transaction monitoring, digital and application platforms.
Management of Risk
· The role itself involves risk management and the role holder must show strong leadership in this area by continually reassessing the operational risks associated with the role, taking account of changing economic, legal, technological and regulatory environments and adhering to all procedures and practices.
The role holder will ensure the fair treatment of our customers is at the heart of everything we do, both personally and as an organisation. The role holder is a key contributor to achievement of retaining fraud losses within risk appetite.
Observation of Internal Controls
Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
To assist in the discharge of accountabilities set out in the Legal & Compliance FIM by proactively assisting FCTM Managers in their responsibilities to assist management in identifying and containing compliance risk, monitoring, reporting and certification, fostering a compliance culture and optimising relations with regulators.
· Jobholder is an ‘insider' for dealing purposes and subject to strict controls and confidentiality.
Ideal candidate profile
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications
Experience/working knowledge of best in class fraud prevention systems / capabilities (e.g. SAS, Threatmetrix, BioCatch, Application Screening, Digital) is desirable but not essential.
Experience in working in a product management environment
Proven ability in working closely with technology teams using agile methodology
Experience of using confluence / JIRA
Proven ability to rapidly develop matter expertise in a range of technical and non-technical areas
Overall financial services industry knowledge with specific functional expertise
Effective communication, inter-personal and negotiating skills
Excellent decision making and problem solving ability
Sound judgmental skills to identify and resolve problems
Experience of managing resources using appropriate communication, delegation and planning skills
Ability to motivate and lead people, employing appropriate management styles
Proven ability to work across regions whilst maintaining a global perspective
Proven ability to work with senior stakeholders and business sponsors
A personal and professional interest in security, intelligence and technology
Under the Company's internal 'Back to Front'/'Front to Back' transfer policy this role may be classed as High Risk. As a result, internal candidates may require enhanced approvals and vetting checks if they are currently employed in a Front Office department, or if they have worked in a Front Office department within the last 5 years (please refer to the HR FIM definition for further guidance). The enhanced approvals and vetting would need to be completed before the candidate will be confirmed in the role.
As a business operating in markets all around the world, we believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why HSBC is committed to being an inclusive employer and encourages applications from all suitably qualified applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
We want everyone to be able to fulfil their potential which is why we provide a range of flexible working arrangements and family friendly policies.