Who we are:
ENGIE is a global energy company, a leading provider of electricity, natural gas, and energy services. With 153,090 employees in more than 70 countries worldwide, ENGIE achieved revenue of €66.6 billion in 2016. ENGIE is committed to being a leader in the energy transition.
We are looking for talented and motivated people to create the future of energy. Join a rewarding and flexible work environment that encourages innovation and creativity, and help us meet the energy challenges of today and tomorrow.
Global Energy Management (GEM) is one of ENGIE's Business Units. We deliver services in supply and logistics management, asset management, risk management, market access management, while contributing to the market understanding, design and efficiency and developing market solutions to accelerate the energy transition.
GEM manages one of the largest and most diversified energy portfolios in Europe, including electricity, natural gas, bulk commodities and environmental products.
With 5 trading platforms and activities in more than 50 countries, GEM has an extended geographical coverage in Europe, Asia-Pacific and in the US. It employs 1,300 people around the world.
Within the Power Asset Management (PAM) Division of GEM, the Power Day Ahead (PDA) desk supports a large range of internal and external customers in Central Western Europe (CWE) by providing power asset optimization services .
The Power Day Ahead desk aims at delivering spot value for power assets . To achieve its purpose, PDA is accountable for:
· Optimizing daily (7/7) Engie's asset portfolio (nuclear, thermal, CHP, renewable and pump storage assets) and bidding the power on the day-ahead exchanges of CWE.
· Steering the short term (intra-month) assets production planning, acting as the single point of contact towards local production sites and internal PAM stakeholders.
· Carrying out the costing process and bidding all ancillary service products tendered in CWE.
As Power Asset Optimizer , your role will be to:
· Have a deep understanding of the assets in the portfolio and their specificities, making sure that they are properly modelled across the IT landscape in place.
· Take part in the daily (7/7) asset optimization activity. Prepare the bids for the power exchanges to make an optimal day-ahead planning, ensuring a physical balance. Upon reception of the daily clearing results, prepare and communicate the final production plans to the range of stakeholders involved in the process, notably the Scheduling and Intraday teams and other relevant external parties.
· Ensure at all times the proper capture of positions, a thorough understanding of the P&L of every asset and its transparent reporting.
· Carry out the costing of all ancillary service products tendered by national TSOs in short-term, in compliance with the constraints and availability of the assets and arbitrating against sport market opportunities.
· Coordinating the intra-month asset planning and scheduled outage management.
· Respect the contractual, regulatory and compliance frameworks at all times in order to avoid any penalties.
On top of these activities (and for about 25% of the time), you will contribute to projects around :
· Simplification and automation/digitalization of the desk activities.
· Development of power asset optimization services for third parties.
· Development of Day-Ahead/Intraday optimization strategies.
· Development and maintenance of the IS optimization framework.
Brussels, ENGIE TOWER
Education and professional background:
· Master's degree in Engineering or any other quantitative discipline (finance, computer science, etc.)
· Good understanding of energy markets. Experience in energy risk management / asset optimization (short to long term) will be valued
· Good understanding of the economics behind power plants, their technologies and how they are exploited in European power markets
· Proficiency with IT tools. Experience in coding (e.g. VBA, Python) is an asset
· A structured and analytical personality with a hands-on and positive attitude
· Ability to take initiatives and to operate in a demanding and fast changing environment
· Team player with strong communication skills
· Resilient to stress and willingness to take part in a rotating, on-duty shift system (7/7) requiring work over week-ends and bank holidays (generally one weekend every month, with the appropriate compensation)
· Fluent in English is a must
· Good knowledge of French or Dutch are a strong plus
· Posting Date: Apr 9, 2020