At Criteo we face some of the most challenging, but interesting problems in the IT industry. We work at a scale of speed, performance and complexity that few others in the industry can compete with. Our data is not big it's absolutely HUGE. We have about 40 petabytes in our Hadoop storage (more than 30 TB extra per day), we take less than 10ms to respond to an ad request and we deliver billions of ads per day.
To help us solve these challenges, Criteo is looking for the best of the best in terms of engineering talent within our cool and geeky environment!
As a SRE at Criteo, you will be part of the R&D responsible for developing, maintaining and operating software that automates the traditional roles of the system administrator.
What you can expect
· Build systems that make the best decision in a very short time, half a million times per second. Across three continents and 15 datacenters, 24/7.
· Store and process tens of TB of data, in one hour, using over a thousand nodes on our Hadoop cluster. And constantly get better at it while keeping the lights on.
· Get stuff done. A problem partially solved today is better than a perfect solution next year. Have an idea during the night? Code it in the morning, push it at noon, test it in the afternoon and deploy it the next morning.
· High stakes, high rewards: 1% increase in performance may yield millions for the company. But if a single bug goes through, the Internet goes down (we're only half joking, our work reaches 95% of the internet population).
· Develop open source projects. Because we are working at the forefront of technology, we are dealing with problems that few have faced. We're big users of open source, and we'd like to give back to the community.
· Work with engineering leadership to develop long-term roadmaps and architectures to scale our infrastructure and improve our SLA.
What you could work on
· The next generation of the software persisting all of Criteo's input
· Improve the Kafka Mirrormaker used by many companies to implement High Availability.
Opportunity to work on real world data and mission-critical constraints. You will deal with Spark, Kafka, Hadoop on Criteo's Big Data.
To qualify for this mission
· You are in your final year of study in Software Engineering or related field.
· Experience in development (Java or another OOP)
· Network & Systems admin skills (Windows or Linux environment)
· Passion for code quality, you are curious and dynamic.
· Good communication skills in English.
Bonus points for experience
· Knowledge in scripting languages
· Experience with NoSQL technologies (CouchBase, Cassandra…)
· Hadoop knowledge
· Candidates we are considering are in their final year of studies, expected to graduate in 2017
· Start dates are flexible, applicants will be considered on a rolling basis
· Location : Criteo HQ in Paris
· Contract: 6 month internship (possibility of a long-term contract after the internship)
· Compensation package: Internship grant + company restaurant +50% of transport costs
Criteo R&D Culture
· Empowerment – We believe in hiring the best engineers in the industry and then letting them get on with what they do best – designing, coding and releasing state of the art software.
· Mobility – In our Voyager program our engineers get to pick which team they want to work on for 2-4 weeks, boosting collaboration, networking and maybe even leading to switching teams.
· Agility - We work in a fast pace environment where we build and release stuff frequently to deliver value soon and adapt to changes quickly.
· Variety – We have many ways to get your code to production including our Hackathon, 10% projects, Voyager and more.
· Multicultural – We have engineers from all over the world for you to interact and exchange ideas with.
Our culture keeps evolving, and you will be expected to contribute actively with new ideas to complement and enhance the existing programs that include frictionless internal mobility, 10% time, mentoring, technical talks, hackathons, conferences, etc.
Are you up to the challenge?
About Criteo [CRTO]
Criteo delivers personalized performance marketing at an extensive scale. Measuring return on post-click sales, Criteo makes ROI transparent and easy to measure. Criteo has over 2,200 employees in 31 offices across the Americas, Europe and Asia-Pacific, serves over 13,000 advertisers worldwide and maintains direct relationships with over 17,500 publishers.
Our R&D team of up to 300 engineers is building the next generation digital advertising technologies that allow us to manage billions of ad impressions every day. We're working in a very fast-paced release cycle and are adding new capabilities weekly and even daily.
A few figures:
· 15 datacenters (8 with computing capacity + 7 dedicated to network connectivity) across US, EU, APAC
· More than 15K servers, running a mix of Linux and Windows
· One of the largest Hadoop clusters in Europe with close to 40PB of storage and 30.000 cores –
· 30B HTTP requests and close to 3B unique banners displayed per day
· Close to 1M HTTP requests per second handled during peak times
· 40Gbps of bandwidth, half of it through peering exchanges
We recognize that engineering culture is key for building a world-class engineering organization. Our core values are getting stuff done, collaboration and respect, code quality, striving for excellence, and having fun at what we do.
Do you want to know more about life in the R&D?
Youtube: R&D Criteo @ Europe
Our blog: http://www.criteolabs.com