Join an exciting team of actuaries, data scientists and engineers at the forefront of using data to drive decisions at every level of our organization. The insurance industry is undergoing a transformation and you get to be in the driver’s seat of this data-driven, technology revolution.
You will work on impactful projects that range from predicting customer life-time values and optimizing customer journeys to incorporating novel data sources for building cutting-edge pricing algorithms. You will leverage machine-learning algorithms to automate and predict claim outcomes and find new and innovative ways to impact our customers. This team is exploring the frontiers of the insurance business such as how to harness the data from connected homes and cars to deliver new types of products to customers.
As a data-scientist, you will be part of a dynamic small team with exposure to different business partners and direct influence on future products and innovative solutions. You will propose machine-learning and statistical models for practical applications that impacts millions of customers. You will also mentor and guide your peers in novel approaches and provide peer review for their work. The team has already developed algorithms used in production systems and you will be part of the team that expands the scope of these algorithms. This is your chance to join the InsureTech revolution!
The insurance industry has entered a period of unprecedented change, disruption and rapid technological development. Aviva recognizes that in this rapidly changing environment building a distinctive capability in Data Science is critical - demonstrating this commitment through the development of our Data Science Practice. If you are passionate about Data Science and leveraging your analytical prowess to tackle business challenges, this role could be for you. We are embracing new technology and exploring new ways of working. With our constant advancement, you will be at the forefront of a fast-evolving field. These exciting roles are at the heart of a high-performing Data Science team that is transforming Aviva in the Digital age. Here, we are creating a long-lasting legacy and optimizing every customer’s experience.
What you need to succeed
As a data-scientist, you will need the following skills and experience to succeed in the role:
- An educational background in computer-science or engineering, math, statistics, physics or related field. A minimum of MSc is required and Phd preferred.
- 5+ years of experience with model development and working with large datasets. This can include experience from any industry or academia (post-doc experience).
- 5+ programming experience in Python or R with good grasp of software engineering standard methodologies such as code-reusability, modularity, use of repos, etc.
- Python/R /Dataiku
- REST/XML/JSON/API ingestion
- Expertise in machine learning theory and predictive modelling lifecycle
- API configuration
- Conformance/Alignment to IT/Enterprise Architecture standards (where applicable)
- Relevant experience in P&C (preferred)
Shiny App development
Geo-analytics experience (ESRI/KML/KMZ layer development) with specialization in weather & environmental data ingestion
What sets you apart
- A growth mindset with versatile skills and able to work through problems from first-principles.
- A portfolio of projects that demonstrate your ability to draw inferences from data. This includes participation within the broader data science community including Kaggle competitions or any personal projects with open data.
- A can-do teammate who is willing to roll-up the sleeves and do whatever is needed to move projects forward. That means at times you will wear different hats and be a project manager, developer, modeler and chief communicator of solutions.
- Amazing people skills and able to translate and communicate complex algorithms to non-technical individuals. Someone who understands that it is not enough to just have a phenomenal algorithm but meaningful to build an agreement for the solution from different partners.
- The best problems in the industry are yet to be articulated. We need someone who is creative, self-motivated and can lead projects independently.
- Provide data support to Claims business inclusive of data mining, automated reporting and modelling.
- Transformation of complex data sets into meaningful conclusions & recommendations
- Develop innovative solutions for pattern recognition using machine learning and statistical approaches
- Maintenance of expanding set of data mining tools, frameworks & approaches
- Communicate actionable recommendations based on insights/model results
- Deliver proactive analysis on CAT exposure, historical performance and decision making using weather and geo-analytical approaches (CAT Analytics role)
- Driving co-ordination/delivery accountability of project and BAU delivery based on timelines & direction (Sr Data Scientist)
- Driving conformance/Alignment to IT/Enterprise Architecture standards (where applicable) (Sr Data Scientist)
Highly numerate, you will be educated to post graduate (MSc) in a relevant discipline; Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science. You will bring solid experience in a related role with a record of accomplishment of solving complex non-routine problems; along with expertise in some, if not all, of the following areas: Statistics, Machine Learning, Deep Learning & AI. You will have experience at all stages of data science; problem definition, data acquisition & wrangling, modelling, feature engineering and deployment. Big Data experience (e.g. Hadoop) would be ideal, but not essential. What is equally important is programming knowledge and a gift for coding using: R, Python or Spark. Your knowledge must also come with the ability to explain technical concepts to non-specialists. You will also need the drive to deliver projects –leading teams and coaching development. With these talents, you will be equipped to provide insights and deployments at scale. If you thrive on complex, non-routine problems, you will be right at home here.