An exciting opportunity has arisen within our Data Engineering Team for a highly skilled individual to work within our Oracle Cloud environment, which is helping to shape the future of insurance through cutting-edge predictive analytics and Data Science. The team is part of Aviva’s global Data Science Practise (Quantum) and is recognised as a Centre of Excellence - providing an Oracle Cloud platform that improves decision making and performance within Aviva.
The insurance industry is evolving in an age of rapid technological development and as an organisation, Aviva are investing in strengthening its technological capabilities. The successful candidate will join a team who is responsible for working with a large cloud platform and building on our existing industry-leading data management techniques.
The role sits within a team who are responsible for the data pipeline that provides Quantum Data Science Practise (covering areas like Machine Learning and AI, Pricing, Financial Crimes, Fraud and Underwriting) with the data they need to provide our customers with the best products.
Duties & Responsibilities
Aviva is looking to move forward its Data Science capabilities and a key part of that will be the evolution of our Data Assets platform within the Oracle Cloud. This role will have you leading on the development of various Oracle applications, from design through to delivery.
In addition, you will:
- Undertake application design and development work to ensure delivery of robust data applications, enhancements and meeting the needs of the customers
- Contribute during sprint planning meetings, daily stand-ups and retrospectives, demonstrate software delivered to stakeholders during sprint retrospectives
- Produce relevant technical documentation to support the application to the Software Development Standards
Skills & Experience Required
A successful candidate should be a highly motivated, experienced Oracle Developer with excellent SQL and PL/SQL skills, alongside a good understanding of Agile Development Philosophy and stakeholder management.
- A motivated, self-starter with drive and commitment
- Excellent interpersonal skills - the candidate would be expected to work across and between existing teams so the ability to work with others
- Experience of working in Agile teams
- A willingness to be part of a highly collaborative team and to work closely with the customer
- Strong communication and presentation skills, including the ability to translate analyses to non-technical audiences
- Degree or MSc in Computer Science (or equivalent academic subject) or substantial relevant industry experience would be advantageous
The following skills would also be beneficial but are not essential:
- Knowledge of Oracle Cloud
- Knowledge of Oracle Exadata
- Knowledge of Oracle Advanced Analytics
- Knowledge of System Design and Application Development Lifecycle
- Knowledge of Development Languages including Python, R, HTML and AJAX
What will you get for this role?
- Salary in the region of £25,000 - £35,000 depending on skills, experience and qualifications
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 40% discount for some Aviva products through “My Aviva Extras” plus discounts for Friends and Family (some exclusions apply)
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
Oh and by the way…
At Aviva we always ‘Care More’. It’s our thing. We’re all about our people – that’s you – so we can be pretty flexible. If you need to work from home some of the time, or change your hours so you can pick up your kids or care for someone in your family, we’re very open to that. We’ll even try to bend work around your further studies or hobbies where we can.
We care deeply about welcoming people no matter where they’re from, how old they are or what disability they have. We encourage applications from every age, race, ethnicity, disability, gender, gender identity, religion, culture, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, maternity or caring responsibility. We want our employees to bring their whole self to work and that starts with you.
As part of that we interview every disabled applicant* that meets the minimum criteria for the job. Just send us an email once you’ve applied and we’ll make sure we interview you.
If you like the sound of all that, we’d love it if you could submit your application online. If you need an alternative method of applying, please give Danielle Stallard-Trueman a call on: 0121 234 7614 or ping them an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
*As defined in The Equality Act 2010*. By ‘minimum criteria’ we mean you must provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required and have the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential to perform the role.