Are you ready to create systems to power one of the largest e-commerce companies in the world? Amazon.com has millions of customers, and developers all over the world rely on our storage, compute, and virtualized services via Amazon Web Services. We support systems at massive, and ever-growing scale. We rapidly integrate new technologies to expand our customer offerings. Our success depends on our world-class network infrastructure and our goal is to become “The Infrastructure Platform” for the world.
The AWS DNS team is seeking enthusiastic and talented Systems Development Engineers to design, implement, and operate large-scale DNS platforms, configuration management systems and infrastructure as code. Our team focuses on the availability, scalability, performance, and security of our Internet-scale services. We build and operate systems that are critical in powering the platforms that Amazon's global retail, and AWS run upon. As a member of our team, you will work on highly visible products, be involved in all aspects of the systems development lifecycle and interact with many other engineering teams across Amazon.
We work on technical problems on a broad set of topics related to infrastructure and web services: back-end and front-end development, test automation, tooling, databases, networking, distributed systems, and security. We are looking for a talented Systems Development Engineer who feels strongly about streamlining operations for our customers, designing great systems, and running those systems in the real world.
These are some examples of things that a System Development Engineer in our team may work on a typical week:
· Implementing software components to fix/mitigate single point of failures, bottlenecks, and unreliable dependencies
· Analyzing the architecture of a service to propose and make changes for fully automating the infrastructure management and continuous deployments
· Improving the performance of a critical data propagation service
· Fixing race conditions on a distributed system
· Designing and creating automation for migrating mission critical services to AWS with zero downtime
· Defining the hardware requirements of your application by planning and building load testing automation
· Joining a call with hundreds of other Amazon teams for troubleshooting abnormal traffic patterns to our retail or AWS businesses
· Using our internal orchestration tooling for deploying your services for launching a new region
· Enabling the growth of junior Developers and peers by mentoring them
If you’re excited about those challenges then this team is for you. If you’re intimidated, or not familiar with some of the examples above, but you’re still reading this, then this team is also for you.
We are owners, we’re enablers, but more importantly we are a team of highly motivated individuals that trust and help each other to grow professionally while relentlessly improving our services, removing obstacles for our customers, and delivering on our goals.
· Knowledge of professional system engineering practices & best practices for the full application life cycle, including system standards, system audit & reviews, configuration management, build processes, testing, and operations.
· Has successfully led a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project.
· Proficiency with multiple programming/scripting languages: Java, Python, Perl, Ruby, Bash.
· Experience with DevOps environments and maintaining critical services.
· Strong distributed systems and web services design and implementation experience.
· Strong IP networking fundamentals and experience with the application of IP protocols
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Ideal candidate profile
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field. Or 5+ years of equivalent work experience
· 3+ years of non-internship professional system engineering experience using common scripting or programming languages such as Python, BASH, or Perl
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (scalability, reliability, monitoring) of infrastructure services, web services, or distributed systems
· 1+ years of experience managing and troubleshooting networking, Linux systems, and web servers