Amazon Web Services (AWS) is one of Amazon’s fastest growing businesses. It services millions of customers in more than 190 countries and powers the developers who are building the next generation of global industry leaders. AWS runs a globally distributed environment, operating at massive levels of scale. Businesses, from startups to enterprises, run their operations and applications on AWS’s multi-tenant infrastructure. Each day, millions of developers execute billions of transactions worldwide on the AWS Cloud.
The AWS External Security Services team is looking for a strong SysDev manager to help build the future of the services in the isolated regions. We are innovating new ways of building massively scalable and globally distributed security systems for assisting our customers with security and compliance.
We are seeking a SysDev Manager to lead the team of engineers with a strong knowledge of distributed systems to extend our security services into new regions. This position will support AWS regions required for the US Government. You must enjoy working on complex software systems in a customer-centric environment and be passionate not only about building good software but also ensuring that the same software achieves its goals in operational reality.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.
· Experience building new products and services from the ground up.
· Experience with Java, Ruby and/or Python.
· Intermediate to advanced knowledge of computer networking and information security.
· Strong communications skills; you will be required to proactively engage fellow Amazonians both inside and outside of your team.
· Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases.
· Ability to effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions.
· Deal well with ambiguous/undefined problems; ability to think abstractly
· Ability to synthesize requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and facilitate engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines.
· Expertise in software processes, web services, multi-tiered systems, and enterprise application integration.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us. .
· Bachelor's Degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent experience
· 3+ years of experience managing technical teams
· 3+ years of distributed systems
· This position requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen and obtain and maintain an active TS clearance at a minimum.