Amazon Sponsored Ads is one of the fastest growing business domains and we are looking for talented scientists to join this team of incredible scientists to contribute to this growth. We are still in Day 1 and there is an abundance of opportunities that are yet to be explored. We are a team of highly motivated and collaborative team of machine learning scientists, with an entrepreneurial spirit and bias for action. We have a broad mandate to experiment and innovate, and we are growing at an unprecedented rate with a seemingly endless range of new opportunities.
The Targeting team works across the entire spectrum of ad serving including CTR prediction, dynamic pricing, ranking, ad relevance, ad quality, query understanding, recommendation systems, and much more. Our technology enables thousands of brands, sellers and authors to drive discovery and sales of their products at Amazon by millions of customers. This role specifically sits within the broader machine learning team within Ads with the primary focus on launching new advertiser controls and recommendations.
As a Software Development Manager, you will assemble and lead a team of engineers to solve challenging technical and business problems. You will be pioneering within a multi-dimensional optimization space which requires you to balance the interests of advertisers, shoppers, and Amazon. Innovation is a key area of focus for you because you will not be applying technology to improve the product -- technology IS the product. You will drive technical strategy and architecture at both the infrastructure and application tiers. Your experience in leadership and coaching will help you grow the individuals within your team and foster a transparent, collaborative development environment.
· Highly analytical and data-driven: You solve problems in ways that are backed up with data. You focus on driving processes, tools, and statistical methods which support rational decision-making.
· Technically fearless: You are not satisfied by performing 'as expected' and push the limits past conventional boundaries. Your dial goes to '11'.
· Team obsessed: You find and cultivate talent to be capable of achieving outstanding results. You help develop the creative atmosphere to let engineers innovate, while holding them accountable for making smart decisions and delivering results.
· Humbitious: You are ambitious, yet humble. You recognize that there is always opportunity for improvement and use introspection and feedback from teammates and peers to raise the bar for your team.
· Ambigu-capable: You are able to explore new problem spaces with unique constraints and thus non-obvious solutions; you are quick to identify any gaps in the team and the right person to fill them to best deliver value to customers
· Own technical vision and direction: You identify and mitigate risks, construct project schedules, and prepare status reports; you embrace performance metrics and measurement techniques because they help you assess how well system-related services are running.
· Build and grow your team: You will be accountable for building an engineering team that delivers results. This means you will wear a lot of hats -- from coaching individuals, to leading technical discussions, recruiting, establishing processes, and so on. You will be an example of Amazon's leadership principles and work to grow more leaders within your group.
· Collaborate on product direction: You will build and maintain strong relationships between engineering and partner disciplines (Applied Science, Product, User Experience, QA) to ensure that we are focused on delivering the right product for customers.
· Lead beyond your team: You will be a key part of a small but growing community of engineering leaders who support their teams and contribute to the overall growth of our product development organization. You will share your best practices and technical acumen in order to drive technology decisions across our organization.
· Own your own shop: Our products reach hundreds of millions of customers around the world. We run operations 24x7x365 and the services your team delivers must meet high standards for operational excellence. Our teams own and operate the systems we build.