You: “Alexa, I'm looking for a job where I can build products straight out of science fiction.”
Alexa: “I have found matching jobs for you in the Alexa Knowledge Multimedia team in London, UK. What role are you looking for?”
You: “I'd like to work on making you even smarter than you are today.”
Alexa: “Wonderful. There are multiple roles in London where you can do that, here are the details … ”
Our focus in the Alexa Knowledge Multimedia team combines machine vision and mining large volumes of data to allow our customers to see answers to their questions in ways that delight them.
We've solved many complex problems to get to where we are today, but there are still plenty of challenges ahead of us, and Alexa is getting smarter every day. The problems we solve in the Alexa Knowledge Multimedia team in London help Alexa get smarter by understanding images of different kinds.
We set out to build Alexa at Amazon because we believe that voice will fundamentally improve the way people will interact with technology, and we wanted to create a computer in the cloud that could be controlled entirely by your voice.
Alexa is at the forefront of Amazon's cutting edge work in Machine Learning. We operate globally, serving millions of customers. This is a role for people who like hard, interesting problems.
As a Software Development Engineer at Alexa you will be part of a team of engineers in the design, development, test and deployment of services. We have opportunities for you to work in areas such as machine learning, machine vision, big data, distributed/scalable systems, server side applications, customer intelligence, and many more. You will play an integral part in Alexa as we grow at a phenomenal rate.
Your responsibilities will include:
· Delivering high quality code on time as part of a cross-functional team.
· Contributing to team discussions around system component design, improvement and integration.
· Designing and developing high performance, test-driven code.
· Working with and maintaining a large existing code base as well as new components; maintaining production code and contributing to deployment and QA processes.
Amazon is an equal opportunity employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.
Ideal candidate profile
You demonstrate a breadth and depth of knowledge in the following disciplines:
· Strong object-oriented design and coding skills in Java or C++
· You solve problems at their root, stepping back to understand the broader context.
· You develop pragmatic solutions. You build flexible systems without over-engineering and choose simple, straightforward solutions over more complex ones.
· You understand a broad range of data models and know how, when and when not to use them.