The Regional Safety Engineer must be an effective communicator, sending clear, concise and consistent messages verbally, in written form, and/or public speaking forums. This individual must manage compliance activities and program components to deliver results independently with limited guidance; identify, develop and execute strategic EHS projects to improve the business; and possess excellent knowledge of regional regulations and global standards. If chosen for the position, you will work with internal and external partners as a recognized subject matter expert (SME), to maintain and enhance the safety of Amazon.com data centers. Coordination with onsite physical security, vendors, compliance officers, risk management, and fire/life safety systems is required. Additionally, you will work with employees and contractors to achieve specific safety objectives. This role will report to the Regional Safety Manager and be responsible for continuing to enhance the safety of operations. Additionally, you will work closely with construction builds.
· Collaborate with other groups within Amazon to identify safety and health deficiencies and develop permanent solutions for risk reduction and elimination, to ensure compliance with regulations internal and external to Amazon.com. Stakeholders may include, but are not limited to Infrastructure Environmental, Data Center Operations, Physical Security, Logistics, Capacity Installation, Network Scaling Infrastructure, Quality, Legal, Workers' Compensation, Human Resources, Technical Communication, Training, Finance, Procurement, Engineering (Field Eng., Electrical Eng., Mechanical Eng., Structural Eng., Hardware Eng., etc.), and Construction.
· Collaborate with vendors outside Amazon, such as General Contractors, Sub-contractors, Emergency Services, Underwriters, etc., as they relate to operations.
· Adapt to fast-paced environments with changing circumstances, direction, strategy and deadlines, anticipating items which may require escalation.
· Lead multiple business critical projects simultaneously, which may or may not be well defined, with region-wide and/or global impact.
· Influence positive behaviors across multiple regions, and drive adoption of leadership principles across teams.
· Anticipate, identify and evaluate hazardous conditions and practices.
· Develop hazard control designs, methods procedures, and programs.
· Implement, administer and advise others on hazard controls and hazard control programs.
· Measure, audit, and evaluate the effectiveness of hazard controls and hazard control programs through Pareto style analysis to identify recurring issues and trends.
· Communicate the cost of not addressing hazards that become accidents, and conversely, the value of correcting hazards in order to prevent accidents.
· Undertake research to identify the areas where potential hazards may exist.
· Perform audits and inspections in order to identify hazards.
· Identify, categorize, and communicate the category and degree of loss that any given hazard may potentially have.
· Determine how any given hazard is addressed in applicable regulatory standards, and ensure compliance and enforcement of global safety programs and local regulatory legislation.
· Determine and implement ways to mitigate hazards.
· Communicate information regarding hazards and how they should be addressed to all levels of the organization.