The Amazon Web Services (AWS) EC2 Core Platform team is looking for experienced systems development engineers to join our expanding team in Herndon, VA just outside of Washington, DC. We offer comprehensive relocation and benefit packages!
Come join a team engineering and operating tier 0 software supporting the massive AWS cloud. We are systems development engineers that deliver some of the core EC2 network virtualization systems. The domain is networking, but it’s all about software. Our system development engineers work in everything from applications in Java and Scala, automation in Ruby/Python/bash. We get to use other AWS services for big data analysis and machine learning, on top of our home grown code. Our services range from ones responsible for metering all network usage across AWS (trillions of records per day), to low level code delivering encrypted VPN connections, to large-scale web services allowing customers to reconfigure, protect, and optimize networks on demand. We’re delivering “API defined networks” at massive scale. To learn more, check us out here: https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/.
Some reasons you should come work with us:
· You will make a huge impact by building and running services that are core to all modern Internet businesses.
· You will be involved in the complete software development lifecycle: defining, prioritizing, designing, building, and testing new features. We don't just build the software - we invent the software.
· You will operate an AWS business with globally distributed servers and customers from startups to enterprises and government agencies.
· You will learn what it takes to grow and operate a global business at our scale.
· We care about both delighting customers and building high quality software. We don't sacrifice one for the other.
· You will have the opportunity to design and build systems with massive scale.
· We offer a fast-paced environment with a start-up atmosphere. We ship code every day.
· Have fun: Our mantra is to work hard, play hard, and have fun. We also find ways to relax and unwind, with social gatherings, team events, and lunches with inspiring speakers both internally and externally.
The successful candidate:
· Understands how commodity servers, operating systems and networks function, perform and scale.
· Possesses superb troubleshooting and problem analysis skills.
· Drives technical innovation and efficiency in infrastructure operations via automation.
· Designs systems management solutions using automation and self-repair rather than relying on alarming and human intervention.
· Creates processes that enhance operational workflow and provide positive customer impact.
· Dives deep to resolve problems at their root, looking for failure patterns amenable to long-term solutions via simplification and automation.
· Avoids re-inventing the wheel and prefers appropriately simple, repeatable solutions over more complex and failure prone ones.
· Has extensive practical scripting experience in using shell, Perl or Python for systematically managing devices and systems via APIs.
· Significant experience with common networking protocols and services including TCP, UDP, DNS, DHCP, HTTP, SSH, TFTP, SNMP, and LDAP.
· Recognizes and adopts best practices in documentation, testing, security, operational support at scale, and efficient use of resources.
· Develops appropriate metrics to demonstrate performance at improving operational efficiency.
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
• Experience deploying or managing servers in large-scale, geographically diverse environments.
• Experience with capacity planning, utilization review & performance monitoring.
• Deep experience with DNS, DHCP, NTP and Squid server implementions or similar systems
Ideal candidate profile
· 4+ years relevant work experience
· Experience deploying and operating Linux servers in a datacenter environment.
· Experience with server hardware management across multiple vendors.
· Experience in automation via shell scripting/Perl/Python/Ruby programming.
· Thorough understanding of standard internet protocols (ARP, IP, ICMP, UDP, TCP, SSL, DNS, HTTP, DHCP, etc.)
· Experience with security best practices in server configuration, tool development, and access controls.
For more information contact:
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.