Amazon's Disability & Leave Services (DLS) team in the HR Services organization is building a best-in-class case management program to deliver leave of absence, disability and accommodation services to Amazon employees across the U.S.
The ASL Interpreter Specialist I is a key member of our accommodation team, providing ASL interpreting services to Amazon applicants, candidates and/or employees who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing. The interpreter assignments may include in-person services for group meetings or events, as well as meetings with individual employees. Interpreter services may also be delivered via video conference. An Interpreter may also be assigned to work primarily with a single employee for all or part of their work days, permanently or temporarily. The Interpreter is highly skilled, adept in responding to changing circumstances and needs of a dynamic culture, and paves the way for a connected and trusted accommodation experience. The Interpreter will be called upon to provide general dialogic interpretation, including conversations of a sensitive nature, such as performance management or review. In addition, presentation or meeting-style circumstances are common. Interpretation in this role will involve periods of standing, and walking in a fast paced environment with varied noise levels.
· Demonstrate high quality interpretation skills between English and American Sign Language
. Communicate well in both verbal and written English
· Adhere to Federal Communications Commission regulations pertaining to VRS and VRI
· Provide interpreting services for Deaf, Hard of Hearing and hearing stakeholders in a variety of settings
· Provide effective communication in a video environment and/or on-site services environment
· Multi-task between interpreting effectively while using video-based technology
· Arrive to shifts and assignments on time and prepared for work. Flexible in work hours to support meetings
· Provide stellar customer service to both internal and external customers.
· Collaborate in a professional manner with team
· Work effectively with minimal supervision
· Address and respond to sensitive situations
· Troubleshoot issues and seek to remove barriers before, during, or after an interpreting event
· Respond to employee impacting issues that may arise during the interpreting event and ensure the right communication occurs
· Maintain a working knowledge and increased understanding of the subject matter to enable effective interpretation for all required disciplines
· Demonstrate knowledge and awareness of Amazon's culture and customs
· Ensure compliance with standard work, federal/state regulations, and company policy
· Maintain system records to ensure accurate and timely documentation of interpreting assignments
· Consult, coordinate and partner with our third party administrator, HR, Safety, Legal, Payroll, Benefits, team members and other departments/systems as appropriate
· Work collaboratively and professionally with other interpreters during assignments
· Travels to various domestic and international locations to support meetings
· Flexibility in scheduling that may include evening or weekend work hours.
Other duties as assigned
Ideal candidate profile
· Fluency in both American Sign Language and English with superior sign-to-voice and voice-to-sign language skills
· 3 + years of related professional interpreting experience, with strong demonstrated experience interpreting a variety of environments.
· RID (Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf) or BEI Certification
. Intermediate skills with MS Office tools such as Word, Excel, and Outlook