At Amazon, we believe that games and connected experiences are the future of entertainment. If you share our belief that games will produce some of the future’s most influential voices in media and art, come join us!
We are looking for an AI Character Designer to join the New World team at Amazon Game Studios, Orange County. New World is a Sandbox MMO set in an alternate version of the 17th Century. As a designer on the AI team you’ll be responsible for inventing and developing unique and exciting characters for New World. You will work with a team of animators and programmers to bring your vision to life. We’re looking for gameplay focused designers that strive to create fun and exciting gameplay challenges.
In this role you will…
· Come up with cool concepts for new characters that fit in the world but bring something new and unique to the game
· Write CDDs (character design documents) that communicate your vision to the rest of the team
· Work with the animation team to describe timings, distances, and other animation keys which result in responsive, fun gameplay
· Work with programmer to create custom functionality for your characters
· Script gameplay logic and integrate animations into the game engine
· Work in an iterative manner, where you playtest often, get team feedback and improve your work
· Refine, tune, and polish your work create highly polished, high quality combat experiences
· Have worked on a third person action melee combat game
· Shipped a AAA title as gameplay designer
· Strong technical scripting skills and ability to learn new technologies
· Experience scripting in modern engines (Lumberyard, Unreal, Unity, etc…)
· Strong animation understanding and fluency
· Experience developing AI characters for online games
· Deep understanding the competitive, multiplayer game landscape
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role.
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Ideal candidate profile
· 2+ years of video game experience
· 1+ years as a combat designer or similar gameplay related role
· 1+ year of visual scripting or scripting language experience