This new role in the Amazon Benefits department will provide deep actuarial expertise and work with population health strategy, clinical innovation, finance, and other functions to guide Amazon’s health plan strategy. This key role will work closely with internal and external partners including the new healthcare venture to assist in developing and managing health care and population health management solutions for the Amazon Benefits Department. The Actuary will be expected to have a deep understanding of health plans and how they interact, and will analyze data to help identify opportunities to improve employee wellbeing and health care outcomes, while reducing medical trend.
Preference for this role to be based in Seattle.
· Manage and execute entire projects or components of large projects, from start to finish including data gathering and manipulation, synthesis and modeling, problem solving, and communication of insights and recommendations.
· Serve as the subject matter expert on health care benefits modeling for costs, pricing, and scenario testing for healthcare initiatives and programs.
· Analyze data to identify opportunities to impact populations.
· Provide comprehensive reports, and consultative and analytical expertise to provide healthcare cost and utilization data, and translate findings into actionable information for internal and external stakeholders.
· Oversee the collection of data, ensuring timelines are met, data is accurate and within established format.
· Act as a data and technical resource and escalation point for data issues, ensuring they are brought to resolution.
· Master’s degree in math, statistics, epidemiology, economics, engineering, or related field.
· 8+ years of relevant working experience in a high growth company.
· Experience influencing executives, in partnership with cross functional business leaders, to gain approvals on proposals and recommendations.
· Proven track record of working effectively with people across a large, complex organization.
· Strong understanding of how healthcare data translates into real-world experience.
· Demonstrable track record of dealing well with ambiguity, prioritizing needs, and delivering results in a dynamic environment.
· Demonstrated bias for action with strengths in problem solving, issue-resolution, ability to work in an ambiguous and deadline-driven work environment, attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Ideal candidate profile
· 7+ years of relevant engineering experience
· Experience managing projects across cross functional teams, building sustainable processes and coordinating release schedules
· 5+ years of technical program management experience
· BA/BS degree in Actuarial Science (ASA/FSA), mathematics, statistics, or a related field.
· 5 years of relevant work experience.
· Experience with health care data sources such as claims, electronic health records, event notification, clinical, and patient reported data.
· Knowledge of standard methods for measuring health care utilization, spending, quality, and outcomes; risk adjustment; provider profiling; and related analytical tasks.
· Medical and pharmacy plan knowledge and understanding how plan designs interact and impact population health.
· Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills; demonstrated ability to anticipate and creatively solve problems and resolve issues with practical and reasonable solutions; with attention to detail and data quality assurance.
· Excellent communication skills. Ability to translate nuanced data analysis into non-technical visualizations and written summaries.
· Excellent quantitative analysis abilities, grounded in actuarial science, epidemiology, and/or economics.
· Advanced data management and data manipulation skills
· Strong business judgment and a practical, common sense approach to solving complex problems.