Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2017, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 130,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe’s number one space enterprise and the world’s second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
The Airbus Chief Technology Office (CTO) is looking for a Failure and Surface Analysis Expert to join the Material X team in Airbus Central Research & Technology. This position is to be based in Toulouse, France. You will report to the Head of Materials Expertise France Team.
In the context of the setting of the Materials team in Central R&T, a job position is open in the field of Failure and Surface Analysis, supporting expertise activities for current generation products as well as contributing to the development of next generation products and technology within Airbus materials & structures community.
You will perform microstructural examinations and failure and surface analysis on materials and parts.
With your creative and analytic mind, you will use your unique expertise to:
• Master various investigations analytical techniques for failure and surface analysis (physical theory, principles and limitations: XPS, SIMS, SEM, EDS, XRF, XRD, FTIR …);
• Develop new characterisation methods representative of in-service failure;
• Analyse failure root cause;
• Propose improvement solution.
Tasks & accountabilities
• Establish work programme, performance of the associated analyses and write corresponding tests reports in direct link with the requesters from Airbus divisions or CR&T.
• Manage critical review and application of dedicated methods for root cause analysis.
• Develop new methods for accurate in-service failure analysis.
• Perform and interpret macroscopic and microscopic examination under microscopes and binoculars.
• Perform and interpret surface analysis (XPS).
• Perform and interpret observations and analyses under SEM, FEG (striation counting, EDS analysis).
• Identify failure root cause.
• Manage the associated apparatus: Investment proposal, maintenance and metrology.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
Your Boarding Pass
• Engineering Background in Materials / Mechanical or Structural Engineering.
• Strong experience in Failure Analysis and Surface Analysis (XPS, SIMS, SEM, EDS, XRF, XRD, FTIR).
• Good knowledge and experience in:
- Metallic Materials,
- Manufacturing Processes,
- Metallurgy and Microstructural Investigation Techniques,
- Fracture Mechanics.
• Negotiation level in English and French is required.
• Hands-on, solution oriented and pragmatic.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision in dynamic environment.