Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2018 it generated revenues of € 64 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
A vacancy for an Expert in Aviation & Environment (m/f) position has arisen within Airbus (Commercial Aircraft) in Toulouse. You will join a small team which aims at coordinating all activities from Engineering related to Environment.
You will be an Expert in environmental aspects relevant to aviation, and in particular to overall aircraft design and behaviour. As such, your role is to provide technical support and guidance to the Head of Engineering Environment Management, his Delegate, the networks of Environmental Champions from Engineering, Environmental Affairs, and other Airbus Functions.
The scope primarily includes the deep understanding of impacts from regulatory and physical environment related constraints in relation to climate change, natural resources, and environmental subjects (CO2, pollution,…) on the aircraft & vice-versa, and their mid and long term evolution, and to propose appropriate mitigation actions.
You are also expected to represent AIRBUS as required in relevant external bodies with the aim to preserve the interests of the Company.
As such you will:
• Be the AIRBUS technical reference, in particular for Aviation Environmental Roadmap topics.
• Ensure that any environmental aspect that could potentially influence/impact aircraft design are identified and that mitigation actions are proposed to Chief Engineering.
• Ensure that Company interests are duly represented outside of AIRBUS in all key external bodies, including relevant research establishments, governmental and non-governmental institutions, airworthiness authorities, and manufacturer associations that could influence/impact AIRBUS aircraft design.
• Ensure that an appropriate level of communication and awareness is spread in the company, and in particular throughout Engineering and Aircraft Programmes, with the aim to minimize the exposure of the company and the design responsible staff to business and criminal risks linked to Environment.
Tasks & accountabilities
Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
• Supporting Environmental Affairs in the Aviation Roadmap and the preparation of Steering Committees, in particular for emerging environmental issues.
• Helping to shape “Lines-To-Take” for environmental issues and represent AIRBUS as required in external Forums and Bodies, and defend AIRBUS interests accordingly.
• Participating to Engineering Environmental Commissions and Events, and disseminate information and technical views to participants.
• Supporting environmental audits and internal processes as required.
• Identifying areas of risks for aircraft design resulting from evolving environmental requirements and constraints, evaluate impacts and propose mitigation means to Engineering Domains and Chief Engineering Organizations, and to other Airbus Functions as required.
• Defining and proactively contributing to improvement and adaptation projects related to Environment.
• Developing networks with Environment representatives of Strategy, R&T, Environmental Affairs, and other Airbus Functions with the aim to contribute towards an Airbus wide alignment on environmental matters.
This role will involve travel for business and as such you must be able to travel accordingly.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
You will have the following skills and experience:
• Educated to a Master degree level in relation to aviation and/or environment.
• Solid technical experience in aeronautics, including particular skills in overall flight physics and aircraft operations, preferably linked with environment aspects (e.g. pollution, climate).
• Technical knowledge in environmental matters and how they link with aircraft design, with capacity to quickly develop in that area.
• Ability to think strategically, communicate/convince, and defend viewpoints regardless of prevailing doctrine.
• Negotiation level of English & French.