Airbus Defence and Space Ltd.
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2018 it generated revenues of € 64 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
We are looking for several Digital Processor System Engineers to join the Communication Processors Group based in Stevenage.
The Processor Systems team is at the forefront of the development of digital signal processing payloads for telecommunications satellites, with work undertaken for a range of UK and international customers on a variety of exciting space projects.
The responsibility of the group covers research and development of new digital processor products, manufacture and test of flight electronic equipment through to in-orbit operational support. Our products form the heart of modern telecommunications satellite payloads, handling many thousands of channels and required to operate continuously and reliably, for many years, in the harsh environment of space.
The main focus of the work undertaken by the team is the development of advanced communications and scientific satellite payloads employing state of the art digital processing techniques. Currently we are developing our 5th processor generation using new technologies to boost our capability at least tenfold. To achieve this we work closely with hardware engineers, ASIC / FPGA designers, systems engineers and test engineers.
Tasks & accountabilities
In this role, you will have the opportunity to get involved in all phases from early concept through to delivering hardware and providing operational support.
Key activities will include:
• Concept feasibility and generation of new ideas.
• Development of digital processor architectural design and specification, flowing down from customer requirements.
• Digital signal processing algorithm design, simulation and analysis.
• Laboratory prototyping and testing of new processor designs.
• Supporting customer reviews
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
• At minimum, a 2:1 degree or equivalent qualification in Physics, Mathematics, Electronic Engineering, Computer Science or related subject.
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
• Good written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to contribute to a large, multi-disciplinary project team.
• Strong software skills, e.g. C, C++ are highly desirable.
• Knowledge of Digital Signal Processing algorithm design and simulation, e.g. using MATLAB.
• An awareness of FPGA design..
Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We value the strength that diverse perspectives bring to our business, so if you require any reasonable adjustments to fully participate in the recruitment process please discuss this with the recruiter who contacts you
The successful candidate will need to be eligible to gain UK SC Security Clearance to undertake the role.