At Abbott, we're committed to helping people live their best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 99,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve.
- This is a technical role with the candidate expected to be a critical contributor to building compelling informatics products within Abbott's Diagnostics Division.
- The individual will develop software on informatics programs from concept through launch. She/he will also be responsible for supporting on-market products post-launch.
Core Job Responsibilities
- The individual will be responsible for design and development of high-performance data architectures which support data warehousing, real-time ETL, and batch big-data - processing
- The individual is responsible for executing the various software development lifecycle (SDLC) activities – user stories, use cases, software requirements, design, development and design verification (incl. unit, functional and system testing).
- She/he is responsible for developing test plans and test cases for software components.
- The individual is responsible for root cause analysis including troubleshooting of informatics work products during development and for on-market products.
- She/he will be responsible for creating and maintaining documentation for the artifacts created during the SDLC.
- The individual will be responsible for ensuring the continuous improvement and evolution of software work products.
- The individual should independently conceive plans and implement development artifacts (requirements, analysis, design, documentation and software work products) as-needed to meet program goals.
- The individual may travel occasionally per needs of the assigned project.
Position Accountability / Scope
- The individual is responsible for the design, development and commercialization of informatics products in compliance with internal policies and procedures, both US and Foreign regulatory standards and requirements.
- The individual will participate in development efforts using Agile development frameworks such as Scrum or Kanban.
- The individual will interact with Project Managers, Product Owners, Architects and R&D Leadership on project scope, timeline, risks and budget.
- She/he is accountable for the development of one or more informatics modules as assigned on individual programs.
- The individual will work as part of cross-functional teams in Global Marketing, Research & Development, Information Technology, Quality, Operations, Regulatory and Business Development to deliver informatics products.
- She/he will work with a broad range of technologists and support personnel both within and outside of Abbott.
Bachelor degree in Computer Science (or a related discipline), Masters preferred. Minimum of five years experience as a DBA in the design, testing, implementation and administration of management systems database. Technical training including Database Administration, Performance and Tuning, and Backup and Recovery. Total combined experience: 10-13 years.
Bachelor's degree in one or more following disciplines: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, Decision Sciences, Symbolic Systems, Informatics, Mathematics, Physics, Information Systems, or equivalent. An advanced degree in one of the above disciplines is preferred.
Preferred Experience / Training
An advanced degree or 2 years of experience at a startup, mid- to large-sized corporation is required. The candidate must have experience in developing and launching unique software / informatics products in one of the following industries: healthcare, defense or telecommunications.
A solid understanding of data architecture and contemporary design patterns/practices. Well equipped with writing efficient data extraction programs (or SQL queries) with highly complex data with volume.
The candidate must have Expert knowledge in at least 2 of the following:
- Data Warehousing
- Data Modeling
- Python Programming
- Advanced DDL and Query Development
- SQL/NoSQL development.
The candidate must have working knowledge in either SQL (PostgreSQL, Redshift, Oracle, SQL Server, other) or NoSQL (Dynamo, Redis, Mongo DB, other).
Prior experience with any of the following is a plus: Apache Spark, Apache Storm, Hadoop, Python, NoSQL, HDFS Data Stores, ETL (Informatica Cloud), BI (Microsoft PowerBI, Tableau, Domo, and Qlik), and Machine Learning
Prior experience with an enterprise scale queuing technology such as RabbitMQ or Apache Kafka, a plus.
Prior experience integrating healthcare data using protocols such as HL7, FHIR, ASTM, a plus
Prior experience developing or working with Cloud-based technologies such as Amazon Web Services is highly desired.
United States > Lake Forest : CP01 Floor-2
SIGNIFICANT WORK ACTIVITIES:
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
EEO is the Law link - English: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_English.pdf
EEO is the Law link - Espanol: http://webstorage.abbott.com/common/External/EEO_Spanish.pdf