This is a contract position.
The role of the Power Trading Analyst is to assist the Power Trading desk with requests for valuation and pricing of power generation contracts and assets for operational and marketing services.
Responsibilities will include:
· Analysis of electricity price and power generation data – both short term (15 minute interval real-time data) and long term forward curves (+15 years)
· Developing techniques to use for valuing the hourly shape and imbalances from renewable generation profile versus market prices.
· Develop and maintain models for the power generation merit order.
· Interpret results of data analysis in context of electricity market environment in order to support commercial decisions.
· Interface with external data providers.
· Other ad-hoc analysis and responsibilities
About us / company profile
Give your best to better energy and make the commitment with Total. With over 500-plus professions in 130 countries, we offer high safety and environmental standards, strong ethical values, an innovation culture and wide-ranging career development. Be part of the global team whose mission is already shared by 100,000 employees: to make energy better each and every day.
· Have an undergraduate degree in mathematics-related subjects, including Engineering, Science, Physics, and Economics or Business-related major;
· Extremely proficient in Microsoft Excel and macros: able to carry out data manipulation on large volume of data points and have prior experience building data models;
· Possess basic knowledge, but most importantly have the desire to develop a detailed understanding and expertise of energy markets and trading/commercial activity, specifically US Power and Renewable energy markets;
· Some previous experience and understanding of the US Electric RTOs such as ERCOT and PJM would be beneficial;
· Someone who can take direction, but also use their own initiative to find more information about a topic. Power activity is growing in Total and the Power Desk is expanding the scope of its operations and will need to find out about new markets and opportunities in the US;
· Excellent communication skills;
· Ability to work in a high pressure, fast-paced environment.
Power Trading Analyst - Contract position
Gas Renewables And Power
Strategy Economics Business
Experience level required
0 - 3 years
TOTAL GAS & POWER NORTH AMERICA INC
Context and environment
Total SA is an integrated, multinational energy company, ranking as the fourth largest publicly-traded oil and gas company in the world, with over 95,000 employees and operating in more than 130 countries.
Total Gas & Power North America , based in Houston, conducts Total’s commodity (natural gas, power, LNG, NGL, and dry products) trading and marketing activities in the USA. Within our Trading Division, the Power Trading desk is seeking contractor or intern to support their analytical & data modelling needs.
TGPNA Power Trading team markets power to 5 Total facilities within the ERCOT distribution network in Texas with the objective of reducing power costs, providing hedging services and Renewable Energy Certificate requirements. TGPNA trade the ERCOT & PJM power markets to generate speculative profits. Traders work with the international teams of Total to provide US electricity market expertise and support on new business initiatives this work includes supporting Total Renewables entry to the US where there is an ambition to develop 3GW of renewable power generation.