Are you ready to explore the corporate side of retail? Then try TJX on for size. You’ll join a Fortune 100 company and the leading off-price retailer of apparel and home fashions in the U.S. and worldwide. At TJX, we are proud that, for 40 years, we have been providing amazing value to our customers, but the merchandise we sell is just part of our story. We believe our Associates bring our business to life, and we aim to support them by making TJX a terrific place to work. We are committed to leveraging the differences among our Associates, and believe that the diverse skills, experiences and background that they bring into the organization will help us continue to succeed.
Our retail chains include TJ Maxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods, Sierra Trading Post and Homesense, as well as tjmaxx.com and sierratradingpost.com in the U.S.; Winners, HomeSense and Marshalls in Canada; TK Maxx in the U.K., Ireland, Germany, Poland, Austria and the Netherlands, as well as Homesense and tkmaxx.com in the U.K.; and TK Maxx in Australia. In 2016, we had over $33 billion in sales, more than 3,800 stores, and 235,000 Associates. As a retailer committed to growth, success is always in style at TJX!
What is the role of a Merchandise Assistant at TJX?
Our Merchandise Assistants support 2-4 Buyers and an AVP, Merchandise Manager on a variety of administrative and clerical functions. They communicate with approximately 50+ vendors between all merchants they support. They monitor and edit domestic and import purchase orders and follow up on allocations and late vendor shipments. Our Merchandise Assistants also Interface with all levels of management and communicate with multiple internal and external contacts on a routine basis. They coordinate all travel arrangements for assigned merchants and set up vendor and agent visits in the home office. They also create and maintain spreadsheets to monitor weekly spend for merchants as necessary. We also expect our Merchandise Assistants to support their peers and merchants outside of their area.
· Prepares and writes domestic and import purchase orders.
· Enters and reviews electronic PO's via the Buyer Worksheet application.
· Revises purchase orders daily and follows the purchase order change process.
· Ensures all necessary signatures are obtained for a letter of credit PO.
· Partners with Planning & Allocation to expedite PO entry.
· Follows through with P&A to ensure electronic PO's are addressed in a timely and accurate manner.
· Ensures accuracy and integrity of ASN/EDI PO information including identifying ASN/EDI orders and contacting vendors for required information when needed.
· Pulls late lists weekly and follows up on all late PO's with vendors.
· Reviews ship dates and cancel or make revisions as necessary.
· Receives authorization from Buyer to approve vendor shipping extensions and renegotiate costs as needed.
· Follows up with traffic/transportation departments as needed.
· Tracks all PO's generated through the buyer worksheet system to ensure final PO has been received.
· Copies and obtains Buyer and AVP, MM signatures on all PO's to comply with Sarbanes-Oxley.
· Assists in merchandise shipment follow up and problem solving for over/under shipments and vendor charge-backs/cost discrepancies
Vendor Communication and Vendor Samples
· Communicates daily with vendors via telephone and email regarding purchase orders, allocations, problem solving, etc.
· Plays an integral role in enhancing and maintaining strong working relationships.
· Fields and screens telephone calls for PO and non-PO related matters to include prospective vendor inquiries, scheduling vendor appointments and allocation inquiries.
· Initiates calls to vendors to solicit contact and address information to ensure vendor databases are accurate and updated.
· Coordinates and sets up vendor and agent visits at the home office.
· Assists in pre-production/production sample process to include tracking receipt of samples, setting up displays for buyer approval and creating and maintaining binders, etc.
· Opens and organizes all sample packages for buyer review.
· Requests samples from vendors for strategy meetings and ensures samples are received and returned in a timely manner. Organizes and maintains sample room and purges samples as needed.
· Maintains a pre-ticket address database and follows-up with the Planning department and vendors to resolve pre-ticketed merchandise problems
General Office Duties
· Faxes, files and photocopies PO's and other departmental forms.
· Develops effective organizational techniques to support merchants and operations such as filing and binder systems.
· Organizes reports for Buyers on a weekly basis to include Buyer Control File and On Order Inquiry.
· Coordinates all travel arrangements weekly for 2-5 merchants and completes Merchandise Manager/Buyer itinerary paperwork including scheduling market appointments.
· Assists and supports MAs and merchants outside of own area to include corporate buying offices as needed.
· High School Diploma or equivalent
· Some College preferred
· Independent, requires minimal supervision
· Demonstrates flexibility and ability to adapt to an ever-changing and diverse environment
· Strong verbal and written communication with ability to assess and tailor communication style to different personalities/needs
· Strong attention to detail; strong organizational and follow through skills
· Strong ability to multitask in a high volume and fast-paced environment while maintaining a positive and professional demeanor
· Good data entry and math skills
· Basic computer skills required to include Excel and Word
· One year of office or equivalent experience required
What's In It For You?
TJX has campuses conveniently located off the Mass Pike and Route 495. With us, you'll not only enjoy working for an industry leader, but we also strive to provide a competitive salary and benefits package.
TJX considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, gender identity and expression, marital or military status, or based on any individual's status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. TJX also provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state and local law.
Posting Notes: Framingham || MA
Nearest Major Market: Framingham
Nearest Secondary Market: Boston
Job Segment: Merchandising, Outside Sales, Clerical, Database, Garment, Retail, Sales, Administrative, Technology, Fashion