Solvay is a science company whose technologies bring benefits to many aspects of daily life. With more than 24,100 employees in 64 countries, Solvay bonds people, ideas and elements to reinvent progress. The Group seeks to create sustainable shared value for all, notably through its Solvay One Planet plan crafted around three pillars: protecting the climate, preserving resources and fostering better life. The Group’s innovative solutions contribute to safer, cleaner, and more sustainable products found in homes, food and consumer goods, planes, cars, batteries, smart devices, health care applications, water and air purification systems. Founded in 1863, Solvay today ranks among the world’s top three companies for the vast majority of its activities and delivered net sales of €10.2 billion in 2019. Solvay is listed on Euronext Brussels (SOLB) and Paris and in the United States, where its shares (SOLVY) are traded through a Level I ADR program. Aroma Performance is a world’s largest integrated producer of vanillin for the flavors and fragrances industries and also produce synthetic intermediates used in pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, and electronics.
Job Overview and Responsibilities:
In RIC Lyon Aroma Performance Laboratory, you take in charge the bioprocess part of the actions of:
- R&I innovation projects for the development of new Aroma Performance products / processes / formulations
- Process Improvement Technology Groups (GAPs).
You supervise a team of laboratory technicians and take in charge the management of innovation projects depending on your experience.
Your main missions are of scientific and technical nature:
- You participate or can lead depending on your seniority innovation projects in an international environment, especially in the field of natural ingredients/products, from feasibility and up-scaling to industrialization and commercialization.
- You can participate to the incremental process improvement teams (GAPs) interfacing with plants and industrial process teams.
- You propose ideas for innovative products, formulations or processes fitting with the strategic orientations of Aroma Performance GBU.
- You define the R&I programs needed to achieve the objectives assigned to your team.
- You define the work plans of your team.
- You are accountable for the scientific quality of the work carried out in your team.
- You capitalize the new knowledge by writing technical reports.
- You propose to patent the innovative results obtained in your team.
- You are accountable for the technology survey in your field to highlight technical and business opportunities.
- You identify appropriate internal and external expertise (academia, suppliers, equipment manufacturers ...) to develop our activities.
- You take in charge of the animation of your team, the evaluation and the development of your collaborators.
- You follow Solvay rules, guidelines or methodologies, especially in terms of SHE
Education and Experience:
A Master degree level in biochemical processes field (fermentation and bio-catalysis) or a related discipline. PhD thesis is welcome.
At least 5 years experience in operating fermentation or bioconversion processes, esp applied to the food or pharmaceutical ingredients.
- Bioprocesses: Fermentation and bio-catalysis processes, chemical reaction engineering
- Knowledge of the downstream biochemical unit operations and knowledge of bioreactor design and control
- Operations of separation and purification (such as filtration, distillation, liquid-liquid extraction ...)
- Bioanalytical and analytical methods (gas/liquid chromatography ...)
- Basics of statistical analysis and 6sigma/DMAIC methodologies
- Knowledge in organic chemistry (especially aromatic chemistry) would be appreciated
- Project management skills
- Oral and written communication skills
- The ability to work as part of a team
- The capacity to motivate and lead a team
- Commercial and business awareness
- Creativity and innovation.
- English: fluent (written / oral) due to the international environment in which you will evolve with regular interfaces with Asia and America.
- French: at least ability to become fluent in French (oral) in a reasonable period of time.