Solvay is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.
Solvay is a science company whose technologies bring benefits to many aspects of daily life. With more than 24,100 employees in 64 countries, Solvay bonds people, ideas and elements to reinvent progress. The Group seeks to create sustainable shared value for all, notably through its Solvay One Planet plan crafted around three pillars: protecting the climate, preserving resources and fostering better life. The Group’s innovative solutions contribute to safer, cleaner, and more sustainable products found in homes, food and consumer goods, planes, cars, batteries, smart devices, health care applications, water and air purification systems. Founded in 1863, Solvay today ranks among the world’s top three companies for the vast majority of its activities and delivered net sales of €10.2 billion in 2019. Solvay is listed on Euronext Brussels (SOLB) and Paris and in the United States, where its shares (SOLVY) are traded through a Level I ADR program.Technology Solutions is a global leader in specialty mining reagents, phosphine-based chemistry, and solutions for stabilization of polymers. Its portfolio includes world class, leading-edge technologies and unrivaled technical service and applications expertise that support our customers in developing tailor-made solutions, in particular for mining, where Solvay's products allow customers to extract metal concentrates from increasingly more complex and depleted ores.
Job Overview and Responsibilities:
The Role: Polymer Research Scientist
This full-time position is responsible forsupporting the development of new technology platforms and associated newproducts to address evolving unmet market and customer needs in core andadjacent markets for global customers.
Execution of projects aligned with thePolymer Additives business/technology strategy
Validate, develop, and advance NewPlatform Technologies to be the source of future differentiated proprietaryproducts
Lead cross-functional project teamto develop new products for addressing unmet needs in core and adjacent marketsas Project Leader
Develop, analyze, and make soundconclusions on projects and apply learnings in projects
Responsible for identifying IPpotential for platforms and applications and file patent application ifappropriate
Maintain up-to-date project foldersand project data spreadsheets
Stay up-to-date with technicaldevelopment, market trends, and customer/market unmet needs in core andadjacent market segments
Responsible for patent andliterature monitoring (competitors and major customers)
Present new products at conferencesand engage in innovation dialogue with key customers
Develop high level of industryknowledge in all core market segments
Develop subject matter expertise inat least one market segment (to be designated)
Write company reports and monthlyreports
Other duties as assigned
Understand and follow key Solvay safety policies and procedures
Demonstrate a commitment to safety
Attend monthly safety training
Know the location of first aid and emergency response equipment,chemicals, and chemical documentation
Obtain equipment or process specific safety training as necessaryaccording to the specific hazards
Education and Experience:
· Minimum B.S. degree in chemistry, polymer science, polymer chemistry, or relevant science or engineering field
· 3+ years of hands-on lab work experience in an technical area
· Practical polymer formulation and polymer processing experience preferred
· Polymer Processing: Extrusion, Injection Molding, Rotomolding, heated press
· Polymer Testing: MFI, Color, Gloss, physical properties
· Testing Protocols: Weathering, thermal ageing
· Proactive, takes initiative, entrepreneurial, dynamic, flexible and able to multitask
· Problem solving and troubleshooting skills required
· Analytical skills: This role requires special insight into analysis of data: Analytical data interpretation: TGA/DSC, SEM, HPLC/GC, FTIR,
· Effective oral and written communication skills
· Presentation skills
· Project leadership skills
· Ability to work in a team setting
· Ability to engage in innovation dialogues with customersetc.
· Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and keep projects on target and on schedule
· Customer focus: candidate required to be dedicated and sensitive to the customer needs.
You must have work authorization to work in the United States without the need of sponsorship either now or in the future. At this time Solvay is not offering work sponsorship for this position.