Solvay is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.
Solvay is a science company whose technologies bring benefits to many aspects of daily life. With more than 24,100 employees in 64 countries, Solvay bonds people, ideas and elements to reinvent progress. The Group seeks to create sustainable shared value for all, notably through its Solvay One Planet plan crafted around three pillars: protecting the climate, preserving resources and fostering better life. The Group’s innovative solutions contribute to safer, cleaner, and more sustainable products found in homes, food and consumer goods, planes, cars, batteries, smart devices, health care applications, water and air purification systems. Founded in 1863, Solvay today ranks among the world’s top three companies for the vast majority of its activities and delivered net sales of €10.2 billion in 2019. Solvay is listed on Euronext Brussels (SOLB) and Paris and in the United States, where its shares (SOLVY) are traded through a Level I ADR program.Composite Materials is a top-tier supplier to the aerospace engineered materials market known for its expertise in design materials and process engineering. We deliver optimal materialsolutions to address our customer’s most challenging demand for new high-performance materials that reduce weight, improve aerodynamics, and ultimately lower the total part costs for customers. The business supplies composites technologies to civil and military aircraft manufacturers which comprises themajority of sales, with the balance of sales into various industrial markets.
Job Overview and Responsibilities:
The duties andresponsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
· Provide technical support to the EH&S Emergency Response Team (ERT) by serving as a “Designated Responder” as needed during business hours.
· Scope: includes Operations and R&I general site collection.
· Coordinate the collection and transportation of hazardous waste generated by operations, maintenance, admin, and R&I facilities to the waste processing facility.
· Following established technical and safety guidelines, collect wastes; ensure accuracy and quality assurance; verify proper packaging, marking and chemical compatibility; complete associated paperwork and data entry for record keeping; manage required supplies and equipment.
· Using power industrial trucks vehicles, transport packaged materials around the facility, including the loading and unloading of materials.
· Maintains compliance with all RCRA, CaDTSC, DOT Permit Requirements.
· Must complete training on the site hazardous waste operations and must follow site hazardous waste and container management procedures.
· Coordinate the transition of the Barrel Yard toward a 90 day storage facility; upon completion maintains compliance for all 90 day storage facility requirements.
· Maintains certification for D.O.T. Hazardous Materials Shipper.
· Maintains Hazardous Waste Handler Operators certification.
· Responds as First Responder for all Haz-Mat Incidents in and about the Barrel Yard Facilities.
· Receives and processes hazardous waste materials generated in the plant, laboratories and maintenance.
· Sorts various waste materials according to hazard classifications.
· Drains and consolidates materials from various containers to maximize quantities per container.
· Prepares and signs off on hazwaste manifests for outgoing shipments.
· Loads waste drums onto trucks and maintains log on waste handling.Orders and unloads incoming drums.
· Coordinates solid waste removal and delivery of reconditioned drums with external services and production.
· Prepares drums for shipment in compliance with governmental and Cytec regulations.
· Knowledgeable in all labeling requirements.
· Oversees operation of trash compactors.Makes contact with vendor for pick-up as needed.
· Maintains required documentation completely and accurately.
· Maintains a clean and orderly work environment and assists in cleaning operations throughout Adhesives.
· Maintains qualifications and complies with Advanced Quality System (AQS) Guidelines.
· Maintains SPC data.
· Collects quarterly samples as specified in RCRA Part B permit.
· Samples rain water collected in containment areas to ensure it is safe to discharge to storm water, and drains off as needed.
· Receives training in areas such as operations practices, inspection techniques, safety, quality control and improvement, etc. as deemed necessary by the Company.
· Provides training and direction to all other employees assigned to work in the Barrel Yard for temporary or permanent job assignments.
· Communicate and follow up as required on anyHSE&S concerns, incidents, near misses, or opportunities for improvementusing the appropriate company process.
· When requested, lead, participate and/or provideresources for Employee Safety Committee (ASC), Safety Meetings, Incident/RootCause Analysis (RCA) investigations, Management of Change (MOC), Process SafetyStartup Review (PSSR), Process Hazard Analysis (PHA), and other relatedHSE&S, process safety, and customer service activities.
· Other duties as assigned by management.
· Ensure allwork is to be performed in accordance with the Responsible Care EMS -Environmental Management System (ISO 14001)
· Intervene and take appropriate actions on anynon-conformance, possible non-conformance, or concerns affecting 1) compliancewith any known legal, regulatory or company requirement, 2) Safety, Health,Environment & Security (HSE&S) policies, procedures, or othermanagement system requirements, and/or 3) expectations or needs of otherinterested parties, and communicate it using the appropriate companyprocess.
· Ensure the HSE&S, Responsible Care managementSystems requirements are integrated into their organization’s business structureand processes and achieve intended outcomes.
· Promote an observable culture of process safety,product safety/stewardship and customer service within their organizationalcontrol.
· When requested, participate in the development,communication, and implementation of HSE&S and Responsible Care programs.
· Communicate and follow up as required on any HSE&Sconcerns, incidents, near misses, or opportunities for improvement using theappropriate company process.
· When requested, lead, participate and/or provide resourcesfor Employee Safety Committee (ASC), Safety Meetings, Incident/Root CauseAnalysis (RCA) investigations, Management of Change (MOC), Process SafetyStartup Review (PSSR), Process Hazard Analysis (PHA), and other relatedHSE&S, process safety, and customer service activities.
· Must followall MSOP & Plant Safety Rules. Use all required Personal ProtectiveEquipment (PPE). PPE required in this area are KEVLAR GLOVES, LATEX GLOVES,FULL FACE RESPIRATOR, HALF FACE RESPIRATOR, DUST MASKS, & EAR PLUGS. TYVEKSuits are also available for PROTECTION.
Education and Experience:
· High school diploma or GED Required.
· Required to be certified as a Hazardous Waste Handler upon accepting the job position.Required to maintain the certification as a Hazardous Waste Handler.40 CFR 265.16 , 40 CFR 262.34(d)(5)(iii) , 40 CFR 261.5 , and 49 CFR 172.704 (Subpart H) .
· Maintains certification for D.O.T. Hazardous Materials Shipper; recertification required every three (3) years.DOT’s training requirements for shipping hazardous materials are located in 49 CFR Part 172 Subpart H .
In addition to initialtraining [49 CFR 172.704(c)(1)], DOT requires “recurrent training” every 3three years. “A hazmat employee shall receive the training required by thissubpart at least once every three years.” [49 CFR 172.704(c)(2)].
DOT requirement forrefresher training is only once every three (3) years.
· Maintains Industrial Forklift Operators License.Annual recertification required. Maintains Hazardous Waste Handler Operatorscertification.Training includes 40 hourinitially and 8 hours each year after required for maintaining certification.Must provide proof of 40-hour HAZWOPER certification uponhire.
Toperform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform eachessential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representativeof the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations maybe made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essentialfunctions.
· Ability to understand and carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
· Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
· Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide, and convert in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
· Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret graphs. Hazardous Waste Training, Drum Lifts, Heat room andOvens, Fork Truck, Packaging Liquids, Draining into containers, MaterialHandling,Can Crusher,Drum Carts and Pallet Jacks, Scales andBalances, Trash Compactor, Wilden Pump .