Are you read to make difference and create the Future of Automation?
We are looking for a motivated Robotics and AI engineer, who would like to be part of a dynamic team in Berkeley, California!
Siemens Corporate Technology (CT) is seeking a member of its “ Advanced Manufacturing Automation ” Research Group of the vertical “ Future of Automation ” Technology Field in the Bay Area of San Francisco, California . In this research group, we shape the innovation roadmap towards the advanced manufacturing of the future; in collaboration with technology startups , leading academic institutions and government agencies . We are a team of automation-enthusiasts, innovators, engineers and scientists with deep technical expertise who are passionate about disruptive technologies in the areas of Machine Learning, Simulation, Engineering, Control, and Optimization. Our deliverables enable the successful transformation of the technology trends in Automation & Control into the business of the future for a multitude of customer products and services.
· Manage and execute scientific and engineering projects including the definition and execution of the technology strategy.
· Calculate/assess risk factors of a project. Anticipate potential problems and demonstrate sophisticated reasoning skills as well as creative, innovative and resourceful approaches to developing solutions to complex problems.
· Provide technical supervision and expertise to achieve project goals.
· Lead, and collaborate with others, both within and outside Siemens, to develop successful research proposals for external funding that align with Siemens strategic direction.
· Scout and evaluate new automation, robotics and artificial intelligence technologies in collaboration with leading academic institutions and government agencies, by working with Siemens Business Units.
· Seek advocacy from appropriate Siemens business units on potential use cases.
· Manage ground breaking research projects with the best universities and professors in the US. Co-develop with top academic partners the Automation Systems of the Future.
· Educate and transfer technologies to Siemens business units for product implementations.
· Assist in project acquisition and project funding. The Candidate:
Qualified candidates will have:
· Masters required in Computer Science Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering. Educational focus in robotics a plus.
· Strong software engineering skills. Proven expertise in C++ and Python. Further experience in C# is a plus.
· 3-5 years relevant experience in robotics and automation systems. Experience in applying Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence a plus.
· Strong background in robotics and control. Practical experience with implementation and debugging of algorithms on real-world robotic systems. Solid knowledge of kinematics, dynamics, path planning and perception including calibration of vision-based robotic systems.
· Knowledge of embedded systems development, firmware, operating systems, computer architecture and hardware/software integration.
· Commitment to continuous learning. Willingness to pick up new technologies as needed.
· Experience working with international and multi-cultural teams.
· The ability to multitask and make lead contributions in several projects. Preferred skills & experience:
· Demonstrated experience in using ROS (Robot Operating System).
· Knowledge of containerization, docker and Kubernetes.
· Solid knowledge in 3D geometry as well as RGB-D and point cloud processing methods.
· Understanding the business of Siemens to identify and apply use cases for new technologies in the area of Automation & Control, e.g. Industrial Automation, Train Automation, etc. About Us
Siemens is a global technology powerhouse that has stood for engineering excellence, innovation, quality, reliability and internationally for more than 172 years. To tap business opportunities in both new and established markets, the Company is organized in operating and strategic companies: Smart Infrastructure, Digital Industries, Siemens Mobility, Siemens Gamesa, Siemens Healthineers & Siemens Energy. (see also http://www.siemens.com/businesses/us/en/ ).
Right now, we’re powering a whole country, finding ways to prevent malaria, making cities smarter, developing renewable energy, designing 3D robots, transporting people at 250 mph and helping NASA explore Mars. Our experience has shown that key technology components coming from areas like AI, analytics, IOT, Cyber-Security, additive manufacturing and materials science are extremely relevant for such innovations.
Siemens Corporate Technology plays an important role in this as a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units. It provides pre-development (aka research) services, prototyping, technology evaluation and assessments as well as technology consulting to all of Siemens’ businesses.
We help business units discover new business ideas and develop them into software solutions and successful products. Our research results influence Siemens products and are reflected in patents and publications in journals and conferences. Moreover, the team pursuits government funding opportunities, often in collaboration with top academic partners.
We are more than employees; we are actively helping to make people’s lives a little better every day. Would you like to be a part of that? Then join us. We offer you a high level of practical relevance as well as an opportunity to individually contribute your knowledge and your visions around the world. Whether you’re helping to develop products for the operating units or working in interdisciplinary projects for the business areas: At Corporate Technology you’ll be working in the heart of Siemens’ technological research together with the best!
Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs?view=category&id=33#subcat34
Organization: Corporate Technology
Company: Siemens Corporation
Experience Level: Experienced Professional
Job Type: Full-time
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability unrelated to ability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, order of protection status, protected veteran or military status, or an unfavorable discharge from military service, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more, Click here .
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more, Click here .
California Privacy Notice
California residents have the right to receive additional notices about their personal information. To learn more, click here .