· Alpharetta, Georgia
Business Unit: Rolling Stock
Requisition Number: 247214
Primary Location: United States-Georgia-Alpharetta
Assignment Category: Full-time regular
Experience Level: Mid level
Education Required Level: Bachelor's Degree
Travel Required: 15%
Mechanical Rail Product Engineer - Gears
“Explosive growth in the rail industry requires a hands-on mechanical engineer to provide technical expertise; is this you?”
The Mechanical Rail Product Engineer will be an integral part of driving the successful introduction and ongoing production for rail gearbox manufacturing within Siemens Traction Drives in our Alpharetta, GA facility. This role will work collaboratively across Traction Rail both within the U.S. and globally to drive localization projects for international designs, provide gear engineering expertise, and optimize manufacturing activities for rail gears.
The ideal candidate will have a mechanical engineering background, expertise within the locomotive and rail market, and a successful track record of supporting product development from the development phase through to manufacturing. The Product Engineer will perform independent quality control checks and assess the design for manufacturability of rail gear products to ensure compatibility with the US supply base and local capabilities. Candidates must possess the experience, knowledge and discernment to perform these functions with limited local guidance. This position reports will act as an interface between the engineering headquarters in Germany and the local operational team.
Within this role, the Product Engineer will be responsible for overseeing all local aspects of gear design, production, and engineering. Specific activities include, but are not limited to:
• Drive production application engineering including: bill of material, assembly methods, special tooling requirements
• Analyze product specifications, and clarifies product requirements and manufacturing aspects with accountable R&D, Engineering and/or Product Management
• Assist in supplier selection, supplier validation and support of supplier qualification on a technical level
• Lead local engineering change management through Teamcenter and SAP
• Support and develop gear test applications
• Provide technical expertise for Quality regarding potential failure modes and effects analysis, change management, and similar topics. Manage fault control system disposition
• Drive continuous improvement via technical improvements, cost reduction, and lean process implementation
• Support organization in gearbox technical discussions
• Work closely with engineering headquarters in Germany to ensure successful designs for US market
• Perform technical project manager duties for a variety of gear projects as required
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering
• Minimum of five years related work experience
• Approximately 10% travel anticipated
• Experience in rotating machinery
• Experience writing and edit requirement documents, design documents, test plans, installation manuals, and work instructions
• Design for manufacturing (DFM) and failure mode and effect analysis (FMEA)
• 2D and 3D design program experience (NX preferred) and Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
• Understanding of various mechanical systems and system alternatives to meet project requirements and conditions
• Effective communication skills (written and verbal)
Qualified Applicants must be legally authorized for employment in the United States. Qualified Applicants will not require employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future for employment in the United States.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
• Understanding of gearbox theory, development and design
• Experience working with gears – additional motor experience preferred
• Knowledge of the locomotive and rail market in the United States or an eagerness to learn if this background does not exist
• Experience in project engineering
• Experience working on international teams or in an international environment
• Hands on experience with hand tools and gearbox assembly
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Siemens is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship status, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, family responsibilities, pregnancy, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, transgender, sex stereotyping, protected veteran or military status, and other categories protected by federal, state or local law.
EEO is the Law
Applicants and employees are protected under Federal law from discrimination. To learn more,Click here .
Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination Provision
Siemens follows Executive Order 11246, including the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision. To learn more,Click here .
Can't find what you are looking for?
Let's stay connected
Can't find what you are looking for?
US Only:Review Accommodations for Disability
© Siemens AG, 1996 – 2019