· Job facts
The Summer @ Roche Intern Program has been developed to provide students with a fun yet rewarding summer through hands-on experience and numerous opportunities to network with other interns as well as employees in the organization. Additionally, we help our students meet their career development and educational goals while potentially building a future with the Roche organization. Leveraging the education you received already, we hope to give you an opportunity to grow and develop with us!
· Acquire relevant knowledge about advanced staining workflows using on-market Roche systems through self-study and interaction with internal specialists
· Study current best practices around reagent loading and sample distribution through existing publications and customer interactions
· Build software to simulate the workflow with regards to relevant constraints and optimization criteria (turn-around time, throughput, asset utilization)
· Test effectiveness of studied best practices with regards to said criteria using the simulator and real-life order data
· Propose algorithms to automate and optimize/improve reagent loading and sample distribution workflow with regards to said criteria
· Test effectiveness of proposed algorithms versus studied best practices, and quantify improvement potential for different lab sizes
· Conclude by proposing a set of requirements that can be included in future software to bring additional value to our customers by helping them optimize their workflow
· Computer science and/or mathematics graduate
· Experienced computer programmer and able to create a simulator from scratch without relying on other development resources
· Must be able to work independently supervised by sponsor
Currently enrolled in an accredited college/university during program calendar year 2020
Completed at least 2 years of college/university to be eligible for the program.
Must have a ≥3.0 GPA
Minimum availability of 12 weeks (Required start on or before program Welcome Reception and end date on or after Summer End Poster Symposium).
Previous experience in the job duties listed, either through course work or industry/academia
Participation in student organizations and/or other leadership experienc e
· Learn the basics of a new subject (histology, advanced staining systems, and related workflows)
· Interact with experts from different functional areas and with customers
· Take a complex real-life system and reduce it to a simplified model defining only the variables, constraints and criteria relevant for the problem
· Apply knowledge of algorithms and optimization to solve a difficult, real-life problem
· Define and communicate software requirements that can go into future development
· Who we are
Ventana Medical Systems, Inc. (Ventana), a member of the Roche Group, innovates and manufactures instruments and reagents that automate tissue processing and slide staining for cancer diagnostics. Our integrated staining, workflow management and digital pathology solutions optimize laboratory efficiency to reduce errors and support diagnosis for pathology professionals. Together with Roche, Ventana is driving personalized healthcare through accelerated drug discovery and companion diagnostics.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination based upon an individual's race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.