Date: Sep 29, 2018
Location: Oldsmar, FL, US
Spark Engineer - 995
Technology and Engineering - USA Oldsmar, Florida
Are you hungry for a challenge?
You'll need that appetite as an engineer on the Digital Ad Ratings team at Nielsen because we work in an extremely dynamic and fast-paced industry. We measure tens of thousands of advertising campaigns with billions of ads served to consumers on phones, tablets, computers, and internet streaming devices every day. The data sets that we deal with are stunning in their size, and pose enormous challenges in collecting, handling, analyzing, and storing so much information. We have an immediate opening for a talented engineer to join our backend team and help scale our rapidly growing systems and team.
Who are we?
· Arthur C. Nielsen founded the company in 1923 with a goal of helping companies measure their sales and better understand the consumers that drove them. From retail sales and consumer purchase measurement to Radio and Television measurement, Nielsen is the original big data company. Digital consumer measurement is the latest chapter in our rich measurement history
· We are the provider of the Web's primary measurement platform for brand advertising (a $83B industry in 2017 and growing quickly). Some of our customers: Procter & Gamble, Facebook, Hulu, GroupM, and Roku
· Strong strategic technology partnerships with Facebook, Google, Adobe, and others set our measurement products apart from any others in the industry
· A world-class group of people and work environment located in Tampa, Florida
· An open-minded and innovative engineering team and environment. We use many of the latest open-source software, frameworks, tools, and cloud computing services
What kind of engineer are we looking for?
· Actual experience (3+ years) working with Hadoop and related frameworks like Spark (experience with other NoSQL tools like Pig, Cassandra, MongoDB, CouchDB, and Infobright are good too)
· Strong objected-oriented skills as a Java (or equivalent) developer (5+ years)
· Experience working in and a fundamental understanding of the Amazon Web Services ecosystem (EMR, S3, Lambda, DynamoDB, etc.) is a big plus
· BS in Computer Science, Math, or equivalent (MS or Phd a plus)
· A ridiculous attention to detail and pride in the work you do
We're expecting you to be able to hit the ground running on your very first day. This means not only having the technical skills to code, but knowing how to work as part of an engineering team. It should go without saying that you know how to use source control in your sleep, be able to setup and administer your own dev machine, have worked with IntelliJ or other comparable IDE's, work with defect tracking systems, write proper code documentation, etc.
Nielsen N.V. (NYSE: NLSN) is a global performance management company that provides a comprehensive understanding of what consumers Watch and Buy. Nielsen's Watch segment provides media and advertising clients with Total Audience measurement services across all devices where content — video, audio, and text — is consumed. The Buy segment offers consumer packaged goods manufacturers and retailers the industry's only global view of retail performance measurement.
By integrating information from its Watch and Buy segments and other data sources, Nielsen provides its clients with both world-class measurement as well as analytics that help improve performance. Nielsen, an S&P 500 company, has operations in over 100 countries that cover more than 90 percent of the world's population. For more information, visit www.nielsen.com
Nielsen is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, protected veteran status or any other protected class.