A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there's more to being in business than just making a profit. That's the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it's never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It's about how you can grab everything that's within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It's about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we'll all be a little better off. It's that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world's best-loved brands: M&M's®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN'S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
Mars Ice Cream is looking for a Senior Product Development Scientist!
This position is responsible for leading the new product development process from concept to launch. This role collaborates with internal (including Global teams) and external teams to launch products and is required to communicate both orally and written, across functions, to facilitate value capture by the business. In addition, the Senior Product development scientist leads priority projects on the Brand, champions’ quality and communicates project status to key stakeholders within and outside of R&D.
What we are looking for:
· B.S. Degree in Food Science, Chemical Engineering or related technical field
· 3+ years’ experience within product development in CPG
· Strong innovation management experience while leading projects
· Able to handle and lead multiple projects at any given time
· Advanced degree in Food Science, Chemical Engineering or related technical field
· 5+ years relevant food product development industry experience. ·
· Dairy / Ice Cream Product Development experience
· Leads development of new product launches from bench top to full scale production, works closely with cross functional teams and R&D functions (including Global) to coordinate and deliver high quality technical solutions that meet the Desirability / Feasibility/ Viability requirements for product innovation.
· Leads and identifies product quality and efficiency improvement opportunities, manages implementation of the same in factories.
· Requires higher technical expertise and knowledge of the Brand and Mars products, trains and mentors other associates on the team ; assists with knowledge transfer and technical training
· Identifies and develops product development processes to improve Ways Of Working (WOW) for the product development function.
· Acquires hands-on experience to become proficient in prototyping and skills required to make all components of finished products and builds expertise to apply during scale up.
· Partakes in the discovery of new intellectual property, which can be used to drive business growth, Keeps current and brings in possible application with new developments in the field of food science and technology
· Follows Mars Quality Management Program requirements for the Design and Development of New Products.
· Role models documentation (notebooks, written reports) and ensures proper knowledge management for all projects and protection of intellectual property.
What can you expect from Mars?
· The opportunity to learn, develop and take charge of your own career.
· An industry competitive salary and benefits package.
· To be respected and valued.
· The Five Principles at the center of every decision we make.
· The opportunity to work cross functionally, add value and impact a better world for generations to come.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Nearest Major Market: Chicago
Job Segment: Scientific, Engineer, Outside Sales, R&D Engineer, Chemical Engineer, Engineering, Sales