About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world’s best-loved brands: M&M’s®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN’S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
Job Title: Digital Commerce Manager
Segment: Pet Foods
Job Level: T2
Reporting To: Emerging Channels Head
The Digital Commerce manager plays a critical role in conceptualizing, strategizing and execution of the direct consumer connect projects through site management and other related plans with responsibility of driving the OGSM priority of intimately knowing the pet parents.
The individual will lead and grow the D2C eCommerce business by focusing on key business metrics such as driving traffic, ROAS, demand, site conversion, PDS, retention and engagement.
· Manage all aspects of direct to consumer initiatives from strategy, concept, vendor/technology assessment, design, global coordination (as relevant) and project management working with and through the eCommerce/Marketing teams and other supplier/partners. S/he will oversee the program implementation to achieve outstanding results in a timely and cost effective manner.
· Leading the design and delivery of an exceptional customer experience in the D2C eCommerce site. Importantly this will include determining UX/UI using analytics and data-driven insights & identify opportunities and ensure an optimal online experience.
· S/he will enhance current performance metrics and testing strategies that measure success, accelerate sales and improve the customer experience. This person will test and pilot new initiatives to improve digital learning and report performance as well as communicate trend information to company Senior Management.
· Own the e-commerce shop from end to end and be responsible for hitting aggressive targets.
· Drive the digital shop (A/B testing, portfolio management , create bundles and promotions, drive traffic/conversions, etc)
· Manage the Direct to Consumer (D2C) marketplace locally and work with the global team on strategy & best practices.Build and manage the affiliate/partnership programs.
· Monitor online retail in petcare categories for insights on competitive activity, emerging opportunities, and best in class approaches. Keep abreast of new developments in the D2C world.
· Leverage the opinions of consumers and internal customers for feedback to continuously improve the site performance. Accelerate digital customer acquisition efforts by broadening the customer base and working with key online agencies and suppliers.
· Develop and maintain a strong partnership with Category Management, Marketing, Fulfillment /Warehouse operations, Finance, legal, IT as well as multiple external suppliers to proactively evaluate, recommend and implement new site features and jointly meet company needs related to D2C sales and operations, and online marketing efforts thus ensuring a robust and cohesive customer experience.
· Manage internal groups and external agencies/vendors to ensure the timely execution of objectives within an established budget.
· Supporting operational reviews, review of KPIs and governance meetings with a continued improvement mindset
Context and Scope
Leading the D2C, S/he is responsible for the development and implementation of long-term, advantageous strategies to grow the business. These strategies must be aligned with Business and stakeholder functions´ priorities.
Additionally, he/she remain close to industry developments through regular interface with external stakeholders as well as internal stakeholders and x-functional leaders in terms of their functions´ strategic priorities and must-win battles. Close linkage and interaction with Global D2C leaders is also essential in order to ensure that the strategies are aligned with the Global framework.
Relevant Quantitative and Budget Information
Financial Full P&L for Channel. NSV, A&CP , Trade Budget and CAGR Target.
1. Education & Professional Qualification
· 5+ years of experience with the majority within a digital or eCommerce focus.
· Ideally 3+ years of experience with direct shop management.
· Owning a full shop or group of shops directly, not third-party e-tailers.
· Entrepreneurial mindset a major plus
· Knowledge on web merchandising, SEO, paid search &, social media & lead generation.
· Strong technical, analytical, and planning skills. Strong business acumen and program mgmt skills.
· Experience in growing a D2C business through technology, marketing, and cross-departmental collaboration.
· Experience in performing long-term (5 year) planning for projects and initiatives.
· Desire to get your hands dirty in a highly dynamic, fast-paced, rapidly growing business.
· Strong commercial acumen: demonstrate delivery of ROI and compelling category vision
· Technically aware: this is not an IT role, but there is a focus on using technology to identify & maximize IS capabilities, so successful candidates must have worked closely with the technological side of digital and e-commerce
· Excellent ability to influence others, encourage teamwork, and build strong internal and external relationships.
· Experienced in leading significant change programs. Exceptional communication skills and able to deliver compelling and persuasive presentations at all levels.
· Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
· Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with all key stakeholders
Key Supporting Competencies
· Strategic Agility
· Learning on the Fly
· Negotiating skills
· Business Acumen
· Influencing without Authority
· Managing Vision & Purpose
Key Functional Competencies & Technical Skills
· Internet marketplaces
· Strong understanding of supply chain
· Leveraging Insights
· Financial Management
Please note, D2C above means Digital Commerce.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Job Segment: Merchandising, Manager, Marketing Manager, Category Manager, Project Manager, Retail, Management, Marketing, Technology