A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there's more to being in business than just making a profit. That's the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it's never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It's about how you can grab everything that's within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It's about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we'll all be a little better off. It's that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world's best-loved brands: M&M's®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN'S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
The purpose of this role is to fulfill the responsibilities of the Attending Veterinarian as set out in the Animal Welfare Act and the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals. The jobholder will be responsible for the development and delivery of healthcare plans for the PHNC animal population to maintain an animal resource that allows for the effective and efficient achievement of the PHNC research plans and will drive continuous improvement in this area.
Strategy in Veterinary Sciences
- Continually improve veterinary care delivered to pets at PHNC and striving to adhere to accepted gold standards of care in veterinary medicine and welfare standards within the framework of the goals and purpose of the PHNC as a whole
Delivery of veterinary care at PHNC
- Oversee the planning and delivery of routine and non-routine veterinary care for PHNC animal population including preventative care, addressing illness and injury and surgery
- Develop, manage and deliver cat and dog preventative and routine health care and specific disease protocols
- Maintain awareness of, and respond to, existing and potential risks to the health and wellbeing of the PHNC pet population, alerting staff and stakeholders to their nature and cause, and ensuring the installation of appropriate veterinary care and control measures such that these risks are effectively managed
- Identify and act upon continuous improvement opportunities in veterinary care delivery
- Maintain veterinary licensure, controlled substance licensure, and ensure proper adherence to all DEA and Ohio Board of Pharmacy regulations
Responsibilities of Attending Veterinarian
- Uphold and maintain all policies as dictated by USDA to preserve licensure in good standing including preparing and hosting unannounced inspections and rectifying any recommendations as a result of these inspections
- Provide expertise and advice on animal health and welfare to Leadership Team, research scientists and animal care staff.
- Liaise with the Global Science, Welfare and Ethics Advisor to ensure that internal ethical standards and legislative requirements are addressed
- Work closely with research scientists to ensure that research protocols are designed using best practice with regards to animal health, welfare and the 3Rs.
- Certification of fitness of animals at the beginning, end and throughout research studies. Treatment or removal of animals from study activities as needed to address health or welfare concerns during the research process
- Support Science team and health care team during data collection procedures
- Maintain and continuously improve biosecurity standards
Support of Associates
- Act as source of support and advice for PHNC personnel with regard to animal healthcare delivery, animal welfare and ethics, fulfilment of legislative (incl. USDA) requirements and research trial design
- Liaise with research teams to minimize impact of veterinary treatments on research trials.
- As time allows, develop, implement, and serve as primary point of contact for a program for veterinary student externs
Coordination of veterinary care at PHNC
- Network with veterinary specialists for consultations, health care, and/or scientific needs outside of the scope of the PHNC veterinary services team
Support of homing and sourcing process
- Assess and communicate the fitness of individual animals to remain in the working population
- Ensure that adopted animals receive required veterinary care prior to leaving PHNC
- Communicate specialized veterinary care instructions as needed for animals in the adoption program
- Examine and ensure fitness of animals prior to and upon entering the PHNC population
- Establish and enforce biosecurity measures appropriate to the potential risks and site needs
Support of the area of Veterinary Care of the Pet Centre Excellence Program
- Work alongside other program leaders to lead the Veterinary Area of the Pet Centre Excellence Program
- Collaborate with other Pet Centers to create global standards and to share knowledge and best practice in Veterinary Services
- Actively participate in the strategic planning, associate engagement, and fulfillment of the Mars Pet Care and Royal Canin missions as a member of the Leadership Team
- Communicate Health and Welfare concerns and needs to the other members of the Leadership Team
- Liaise with Health and Welfare leaders from other petcare sites on behalf of our site - Network with K.O.L.’s within the veterinary community on behalf of Royal Canin
- Present Health Care Program overview as requested and in conjunction with Health Care Services Manager
Health Care Team
- Provide guidance and oversight for health care policies, procedures, and ways of working
- Support Health Services Manager and Veterinary Technicians in fulfilling Health and Research needs of the Health Care Team as a whole
- Liaise with Leadership and Science Teams to ensure that health and welfare concerns are being addressed
- Oversee training of health care team members and associates in health care assessments, techniques, and procedures
- Provide veterinary guidance and support for the Behavior and Training Manager
Key Functional Skills/ Knowledge
- DVM or VMD
- 3-5 years’ clinical experience or equivalent
- Knowledge of animal health and veterinary medicine
- Experience in research environment or population/community medicine
- Understanding of regulatory environment preferred
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Meticulous documentation and medical record skills.
- Working proficiency in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. -
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays as needed on an on-call basis.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Nearest Major Market: Dayton
Nearest Secondary Market: Cincinnati
Job Segment: Outside Sales, Sales