M&S is a leading retailer with a strong brand heritage, extraordinary colleagues and customers who want to see us succeed. It’s down to our Corporate Communications team to both protect and enhance that reputation. The key to our transformation and long-term sustainability is our commitment to the belief that behaviour drives business success and employee engagement.
Our Corporate Communications Team are looking for a creative, engaging and adaptable Colleague Communications Officer to join the Team in our state-of-the-art offices in Paddington. Ideally, we are looking for an experienced Communications Officer with a background in internal communications (agency or client side), who is confident working in fast-paced businesses delivering a significant change agenda.
This role would suit someone who enjoys building networks, as you will be supporting two Colleague Communications Business Partners operationalise the colleague communications strategy and plans within our Food Business, International Business, Finance Function and Data & Digital.
About the role
Your key accountabilities include:
· Build a good understanding of the challenges, opportunities and priorities for areas supported (Food Business, International Business, Finance Function and Data & Digital) and how the Leadership Teams are transforming the business, and establish a network of contacts to ensure information and knowledge is kept up to date
· Support the Colleague Communications Business Partners to operationalise the internal communications strategy and plan, for areas supported, as an integrated part of our overall colleague communications strategy
· Researching drafting and fact checking news and features that keeps Colleagues informed about what is happening and how the business is transforming
· Gathering information, generating ideas and souring content for Leaders’ presentations for Town Halls, site visits, events, round tables, etc.
· Identifying and develop stories that put our people at the centre of our messaging and place the voice and needs of our stores, and customer centricity, at the heart of our Colleague communications
· Managing the day-to-day activities for our internal campaigns amplifying our sustainability positions and programmes related our Food Business including plastics, health and food waste; working closely with the External Communications & Channels Team to ensure a joined-up approach
· Delivering Colleague communications that promote our external facing marketing campaigns to internal audiences
· Promoting our technology partnerships to demonstrate how we are leveraging the power of data and digital as part of our transformation
· Providing content support for major conferences and events
· Supporting the Business Partners to develop templates and guidelines to support leaders to communicate effectively with their teams
· Identifying and sharing great stories with the wider Corporate Affairs Team so we can communicate them more widely and leverage as stories and proof points for external communications
· Work with the Content Manager in the Digital Content & Channel Team with accountability for our internal corporate channels to deliver cut-through content to amplify our story across our internal digital footprint and channels
· Prepare briefs for videos, multi-media assets, photography, infographics, printed collateral, etc. and work closely with the Content Managers and Production Assistants in the Digital, Content & Channels Team to deliver high quality assets and materials
· Accountable for feeding through key activities, for areas supported, for the Corporate Affairs master planning grid to ensure the department can effectively traffic control, priorities and plan its programmes and activities
Your skills and experience include:
· Evidence of message penetration and audience reach for owned activities
· A strong verbal communicator, clear and fluid written skills and listens actively
· Ability to build effective relationships and influence at all levels
· Can digest information quickly and meet tight deadlines across several projects
· Communicates openly and honestly at all times and encourages others to do the same
· Is authentic and positive in their approach
· Digital savvy and embraces new technology
· Highly organised, strong project management skills and excellent attention to detail
· Ensures efficiency and a right first-time approach
· Actively spends time thinking about the customer and using insight in their work
· Able to take accountability of their role, taking intelligent risks and learns from their mistakes