There are 7 billion people on this planet. And by 2050, there will be 2 billion more... many moving into urban centers at an unprecedented rate. Making sure there is enough food, fiber and infrastructure for our rapidly growing world is what we’re all about at John Deere. And it’s why we’re investing in our people and our technology like never before in our 175-year history. Here the world’s brightest minds are tackling the world’s biggest challenges. If you believe one person can make the world a better place, we’ll put you to work. RIGHT NOW.
Primary Location: United States (US) - Illinois (US-IL) - Champaign
Function: Product Engineering
Title: Part Time Student Ag Electric Drives - Champaign, IL - 58583
· We're hiring 2019 fall semester part-time engineering students to work on a special project on electric drive opportunities for harvesting equipment.
· The project team will be three students who will work together closely to accomplish the project objectives.
· There will be one electric drives engineering student, one agriculture engineering student, and one system engineering student on the team.
· Using the perspectives and knowledge from the three disciplines, the team will review state of the art electric drive systems, identify features/functions that could be electrified to add customer value, and propose system designs for identified features/functions.
· The project will conclude mid-December 2019 with a final report and presentation
· As the electric drives engineering student, you will:
· Perform analysis and design of the electric drive system consisting of electric machines, power electronics, control systems, and related systems. Make recommendations to optimize system performance, while meeting the application requirements.
· Define and develop engineering proposals for electric drive systems on agriculture vehicles.
· Work with vehicle product engineers to review proposals to integrate the electric drive system into the vehicle.
· This involves designing electric drive system interfaces and specifying the related vehicle systems.
· Develop appropriate system models representing the electric drive components, systems, vehicle interactions, and control algorithms.
What it Takes
· Working and theoretical knowledge of circuit theory and basic electronics/electromagnetics.
· At least one previous internship, co-op, or part-time job with an engineering company
· Currently pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering, with your Junior year completed.
· Must be registered as a full-time student at a local university
· Must be able to commute to the work location on a daily basis
· Cumulative GPA of 2.8 or above
· 16 - 20 hours/week during the academic year
· 35 - 40 hours/week during the summer semester
A Strong Candidate Will Also Have
· Coursework or research experience in any of the following areas: motor control, power electronics, electromagnetics, electric machine design, control systems, variable frequency drives, drive system design, or hybrid vehicles (or equivalent experience).
What You'll Get
At John Deere, you are empowered to create a career that will take you to where you want to go. Here, you'll enjoy the freedom to explore new projects, the support to think outside the box and the advanced tools and technology that foster innovation and achievement. We offer comprehensive relocation and reward packages to help you get started on your new career path. Click here to find out more about our Total Rewards Package.
The information contained herein is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of individuals performing the job. The qualifications detailed in this job description are not considered the minimum requirements necessary to perform the job, but rather as guidelines.
John Deere is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Nearest Major Market: Champaign
Nearest Secondary Market: Urbana
Job Segment: Agricultural, Intern, Engineer, Electrical, Systems Engineer, Agriculture, Entry Level, Engineering