IBM Global Real Estate (GRE) is looking for a talented individual in the area of electrical engineering to support site operations at the IBM Research – Almaden and IBM Silicon Valley Laboratory sites located in San Jose, CA. Scientists at Almaden are pioneering scientific breakthroughs across today's most promising and disruptive technologies including the future of artificial intelligence, storage, brain inspired computing, solution and services innovation, as well as basic scientific research and materials discovery. SVL is the home to over 1000 software developers and houses a large software development lab used worldwide. We live in a moment of remarkable change and opportunity. The convergence of data and technology is transforming all aspects of business and organizations today. New opportunities are being created that never existed before to meet the demands of this transformation inside IBM. Now is the time to join a dynamic team and help make a change.
Job Description including responsibilities:
Site Facilities Operations practicing electrical engineer supporting the day to day operations and project management two IBM owned locations in San Jose, CA. Candidate will need strong communications, business controls and organizational skills and will be expected to provide technical leadership in the area of power engineering and fire/life safety and to provide advice and counsel to on site management.
· Oversee electrical and fire/life safety building systems – high voltage and electrical distribution systems, systems controls, all base building services and critical utilities. Act as the main contact for the local utility, PG&E.
· Determine all necessary equipment upgrades/replacement for electrical equipment at both the Almaden site and Silicon Valley Lab. This includes the main 115KV electrical substations the 12KV lineups, and the 480V substations.
· Provide consultation during electrical events (power dips, surges, outages) to FSV personnel.
· Act as the site Fire Marshall, ensuring that the sites meet all appropriate life safety requirements, recommending upgrades as necessary to the fire alarm and toxic gas systems. Consult with both FSV and security personnel as necessary regarding operational issues. Interface with the City of San Jose Fire Department during inspections. Act as the focal point for Factory Mutual during their site reviews.
· Ensure that the fire suppression system meets code and recommend upgrades/additional maintenance as required. This includes fire system piping, valving, and sprinkler configurations.
· Work with IBM customers in both Research and Development organizations to solution specific needs and provide scope to FSV for small job execution.
· Work with the local Design and Construction project managers to ensure that any changes to building electrical and lighting systems are in compliance with local and state standards.
Auto req ID
Role ( Job Role )
Real Estate Facilities Engineering Professional
State / Province
Primary job category
(0147) International Business Machines Corporation
Is this role a commissionable/sales incentive based position?
IBM Business Group
City / Township / Village
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
· A minimum of 3 years' experience in facilities electrical systems
· Project management skills including project scope development, budgeting, and scheduling.
· Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines
· Proven problem resolution and analytical skills, being able to quickly size up an issue, make recommendations to management, and lead in the implementation of solutions.
· Demonstrated communication skills, being able to work in a team environment with other IBMers, suppliers, vendors, and contractors.
· Presentation skills.
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience
· 10+ years facilities experience, preferably in a complicated setting.
· Demonstrated project management capabilities for complex infrastructure projects
· Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local regulations and codes
· CAD skills
· Licensed Professional Engineer (State of California)
Secondary Job Category
Early Professional Track
Not Applicable - Professional Hire
US Citizenship required.
At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you're looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
About Business Unit
The IBM Finance organization is responsible for driving enterprise performance and transformation. We are the financial stewards of IBM, delivering IBM's financial strategy, developing new business models, and mitigating enterprise risk. Do you have a passion for creating business value? Join our team in accounting, financial planning, pricing, business controls, tax, treasury, business development (acquisitions & divestitures), and global financing.
IBM's greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.