The Weather Company, an IBM Business is seeking a Meteorologist in Andover, Massachusetts. As a Meteorologist, you will provide advanced forecasting expertise for decision support products and services to airline operations and pilots. This position requires an understanding of airlines operations and air traffic control environment, along with delivering timely products with the accuracy and quality to meet customers expectations. Additionally, the person must have excellent communications skills in order for them to convey complex concepts and risk assessments to a diverse set of operational users within the airline environment.
· Deliver operational forecast content consistently and accurately within rigid time constraint.
· Evaluate data and then issue written, graphical and oral aviation forecasts and alerts including hazardous weather advisories request.
· Produce forecasts and advisories for enroute weather hazards for 0-24 hours.
· Provide written briefs for terminal and weather conditions for use by both dispatchers and pilots.
· Develop knowledge of airspace, air traffic control programs affecting the airline's Hub and Focus City domains.
· Actively collaborate with other meteorologists on Global weather issues particularly in the 0-48 hour time frame. Specific focus on forecast trends through 24 hours.
· Generate short-fused narratives, forecast discussions and weather alerts for disruptive weather events within the 0-24 hour forecast domain as weather conditions dictate.
Auto req ID
High School Diploma/GED
Role ( Job Role )
Business Operations Specialist
State / Province
Primary job category
(0147) International Business Machines Corporation
Is this role a commissionable/sales incentive based position?
IBM Business Group
City / Township / Village
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
· At least 1 year of operational weather forecasting with civilian/commercial or military experience, with understanding in aviation industry weather impacts
· Ability to effectively communicate and interact in an operational team environment
· Advanced proficiency in forecast process within an operational forecasting environment
· Exceptional organizational, data analysis, data collation and process management skills
· Demonstrated proficiency to effectively adjust priorities based on changing weather conditions in a fast-paced operational environment
· Bachelor's degree in Meteorology, Atmospheric Science, or related science from an accredited college or university, OR a combination of training and experience that has led to qualification as an aviation forecaster by the NWS or a U.S. or NATO military authority.
Preferred Technical and Professional Experience
· 3 years of previous experience within aviation traffic management, operational flight planning, and/or operational decision support.
Secondary Job Category
Early Professional Track
Industry Early Professional
IBM will not be providing visa sponsorship for this position now or in the future. Therefore, in order to be considered for this position, you must have the ability to work without a need for current or future visa sponsorship.
New Collar Role
At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To think along with clients and sell. To make markets. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems? If so, lets talk.
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you're looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
About Business Unit
At IBM Cognitive Applications, we build open applications that unlock the power of data for clients, partners, and developers. Running on top of IBM's unique Hybrid, Multi-cloud and AI infrastructures, these applications work across horizontal domains and bring our technology to life for end users. Cognitive Applications unit includes: Watson Customer Engagement, Watson IoT, Watson Media and Weather, Talent & Collaboration, Digital Growth & Commerce, and IBM Developer teams.
IBM's greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that progress is made through progressive thinking, progressive leadership, progressive policy and progressive action. IBMers believe that the application of intelligence, reason and science can improve business, society and the human condition. Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are the largest technology and consulting employer in the world, with more than 380,000 IBMers serving clients in 170 countries.