The goal of the Sous Chef is to manage a specific department and work with the Executive Sous Chef to create, implement and maintain quality standards. In some instances the Sous Chef will be expected to be responsible for the entire operation in the absence of the Executive Sous Chef. The ideal Sous Chef will accomplish their tasks by monitoring the daily functions of the culinary department, including providing support and guidance to the culinary team, ending in a positive guest experience.
· Works closely with other employees in a supportive and flexible manner, focusing on the overall success of the hotel and the satisfaction of hotel guests.
· Plans or participates in planning menus and utilisation of food surpluses and leftovers, taking into account probable number of guests, market conditions, popularity of various dishes and frequency of menus.
· Reviews menus, analyses recipes, determines food, labour, overhead costs and assigns prices to menu items.
· Supervises cooking and other kitchen personnel and coordinates their assignments to ensure economical and timely food production.
· Observes methods of food preparation and cooking, sizes of portions, and garnishing of foods to ensure food is prepared in prescribed manner.
· Develops the skills and effectiveness of all Kitchen employees through the appropriate training, coaching, and/or mentoring.