The role holder will have the following broad primary responsibilities:
Assist Senior Credit Approver Officers in the analysis and evaluation of credit applications within specified thresholds for the Commercial Real Estate business within the Wholesale Commercial Banking business.
Assist in CRE Portfolio Management and special projects including ongoing portfolio review using portfolio analytical data and latest geographical and property type third party market data. Perform portfolio reviews with the first line of defense. Assist with projects related to the CRE risk ratings models and CCAR. Assist with Credit Policy related projects including requirements for portfolio-wide, re-classification or data integrity fixes. Assist with portfolio special requests from Regulators, Auditors or Accountants.
Additional Development Responsibilities :
· Assess credit proposals, undertaking appropriate analysis and making final recommendations up to appropriate and agreed thresholds, on the basis of professional credit judgment and in accordance with Bank Lending Policies. Timely delivery of well-balanced recommendations/ assessments delivered with professionalism.
· Analyze CRE borrowers including the following collateral: Residential Rental, Residential for-Sale Condominium, Office, Retail, Hotel and Industrial/Warehouse properties.
· Review CRE CARM applications submitted to CAU for accuracy of the proposal write up and data in the CARM panels and check for required Attachments in CARMs as well as accuracy thereof.
· Work independently on / analyze credit proposals rated CRR 2.2 or better to recommend appropriate lending positions and risk ratings per standard WMR credit approval procedures and to reach solutions when warranted in close and constructive collaboration with colleagues within WMR CoE, Wholesale Credit Risk and Business Teams in HSBC US.
· Participate in credit / risk meetings with Front Office / HSBC US WMR colleagues.
· Strict adherence and maintenance of appropriate credit standards in the recommendation / approval and control of lending.
· Closely monitor risk events and be able to timely escalate to management.
Impact on the Business
· Assess complex credit proposals, undertaking appropriate analysis and making final recommendations up to the appropriate and agreed thresholds, on the basis of professional credit judgment and in accordance with Bank Lending Policies. Timely delivery of well-balanced recommendations / assessments, delivered with professionalism
Research, recommend and assist in the implementation of credit management techniques
Contribute to the achievement of the operating plan with respect to revenue, impairment charges, risk measures and RWA impact
Assist in managing operational costs within AOP
Adopt a proactive, strategic, forward looking and portfolio view of Commercial Real Estate
Customer / Stakeholders
· Deliver best in class service levels to customers and meeting SLAs
Effective and strong stakeholder management – maintain strong working relationships with the respective Business and both onshore and offshore Risk colleagues through efficient use of the available communication tools and effective networking
Educate peers as to specific risks of this sector.
Represent Wholesale Credit Risk with professionalism in interactions with Regulators, Audit Functions, and Senior Business or Risk counterparts
Leadership & Teamwork
· Provide professional feedback on the ongoing performance and actively engage with colleagues / employees
· Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand
· Provide guidance to the business to enable enhanced First Line of Defense performance
Ideal candidate profile
· Bachelor's degree in Finance, Economics or similar discipline.
· Formally Credit trained.
· Minimum 1-2 yrs. experience in Commercial Real Estate.
· Comprehensive understanding of Commercial Real Estate credit products, accounting & financial analysis.
· Excellent communication and writing skills with the ability to explain topics clearly and intuitively.
· Strong analytical skills and the ability to apply quantitative techniques to perform trend analysis, identify risk, and recommend proactive action to monitor/control higher risk portfolio segments.
· Team-oriented, while pro-active and self-motivated with ability to complete tasks with limited supervision.
· Strong ability to handle a diverse workload of longer-term projects and short-terms asks.
· Strong working knowledge of Excel, Powerpoint, and other database/applications.
· Flexibility to travel, if required.