A Cook is responsible for preparing food items in accordance with recipes and established standards in the hotel's continuing effort to deliver outstanding service and financial profitability.
The Cook I reports directly to the Outlet Chef or the assigned Sous Chef
What will I be doing?
Duties and Supporting Responsibilities
· Able to work in fast-paced environment, multiple tasks to be handled under time constraint
· Able to handle a heavy business volume in a timely manner
· Understand proper safety and health codes and regulations and maintain them regularly
· Ensure all requisitions are processed properly and placed in designated area
· Ensure all areas assigned are clean and free of debris
· Maintain a solid knowledge of all food products and is able to skillfully apply culinary techniques.
· Identify and safely use all kitchen equipment.
· Regularly restock all kitchen supplies and food items required for service.
· Apply basic knife skills required for service
· Read, measure and execute recipes
· Move items from shelves to carts and transport to assigned stations for restocking purposes
· Maintain a solid menu knowledge and attention to detail with plate presentation
· Versatile in preparing both hot and cold items
· Exhibits a solid knowledge, understanding and application of various cooking techniques
· Assist Cook III and Cook II as needed in execution of service
· Maintain a solid knowledge, understanding and preparation of base sauces, stocks and soups
· Effectively communicate with management, chefs and service staff in order to fulfill and address any issues or needs requested by guests and or other employees
· Performs other job related duties that may be assigned
· Basic to good knowledge of Gastronomy including Buffet.
· Able to work and stay organized in a busy professional kitchen.
· Basic to good knowledge of the county health department's codes, and an ability to analyze critical control points within the operation.
· Able to follow recipes, understand ingredients in all menu items and recipes, and the cooking techniques used in each menu item and recipe.
· Responsible for cleaning and organizing carts in walk-in and refrigerator.
· With the direction of the Outlet Manager, oversees inventory control and monitoring of frozen, dry, and / or refrigerated goods. Communicates to Outlet Chef when items are required for ordering.
· Responsible to communication, hand over take over with colleagues and work with them.
· Able to work and maintain a busy station, and work in multiple areas/floors.
· Great love of cooking
· Quick learner who wants to experience all the stations and cuisines.
· Minimum of 2 years in the culinary department of a luxury hotel or restaurant and / or a culinary degree.
· Quality driven with a passion for excellence.
· Approachable, open-minded and fair
· Willing and able to work all shifts, any set of scheduled hours, any holiday, weekends and overtime to meet the demands of the operation.
· High energy
· Advanced HACCP certification or equivalent
· Additional languages
· Working knowledge of computers and basic software
· Knowledge of other cuisines is a plus
Each of the items listed is considered an essential function of the position. However, the duties, responsibilities and requirements presented in this job description are intended to be broad based and high level and should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all roles or responsibilities for the position. The Company reserves the right to alter the duties and responsibilities of the position.
It is Company policy to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, including by providing reasonable accommodations that do not constitute an undue hardship on the Company. Employees or applicants should direct requests for accommodation to Director of Human Resources
Ideal candidate profile
What are we looking for?
Since being founded in 1919, Hilton has been a leader in the hospitality industry. Today, Hilton remains a beacon of innovation, quality, and success. This continued leadership is the result of our Team Members staying true to our Vision, Mission, and Values. Specifically, we look for demonstration of these Values:
· Hospitality - We're passionate about delivering exceptional guest experiences.
· Integrity - We do the right thing, all the time.
· Leadership - We're leaders in our industry and in our communities.
· Teamwork - We're team players in everything we do.
· Ownership - We're the owners of our actions and decisions.
· Now - We operate with a sense of urgency and discipline
In addition, we look for the demonstration of the following key attributes:
· Customer Focus
· Adaptability What will it be like to work for Hilton?
Hilton is the leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For nearly a century, Hilton has offered business and leisure travelers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities and value. Hilton is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands . Our vision “to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality” unites us as a team to create remarkable hospitality experiences around the world every day. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!