Chicago, Erie, Grove City, Pittsburgh, Fort Worth
Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas
Help lead business transformation through our Data Democratization initiatives designed to drive an increase in user self-service with respect to data gathering, visualization, analysis, and predictive analytics. This hands-on position is responsible for working with various users and organizations to determine their data self-service requirements and to architect solutions to meet and exceed those requirements.
· Presenting the data democratization strategy to key business users soliciting their feedback and inputs.
· Working with Product Owners, and Business SMEs to gather and document functional data and architectural requirements and guide conversations toward the most appropriate technical solutions available.
· Utilizing your proven interpersonal, communication and presentation skills to clearly explain concepts and analysis implications to a wide audience.
· Working with the D&A Business Transformation Leader and D&A Leadership to continue to create and evolve the Data Democratization strategy to best meet the current needs of the business and functional users.
· Thinking and acting strategically about how technology and analytical capabilities can be leveraged for best business outcomes. Supporting and participating in the development of software, data and technology platforms that are self-service oriented with reusable/shareable components.
· Working with the D&A Business Transformation Leader and Architecture and Emerging Technology team to define the best solutions to meet the business requirements and plug technology gaps that exist.
· Demonstrating your understanding of business priorities, strategic needs/opportunities, and applicable data and analytics technologies to build the best solutions.
· Ensuring that existing tools are being properly utilized including guidance about which tools are the best choice in certain situations. This includes the analysis, design and development of a roadmap, design patterns, and implementations based upon an understanding of business usage patterns.
· Providing guidance to Emerging Technology and Operations teams on the implementation of new and existing standards, processes, tools and best practices.
· Ensuring data democratization requirements can be met by the current data engineering solutions, including data modeling, data quality, and semantic/metadata development and if not, to work with the Data Engineering team to plug the gap.
· Understanding the security requirements with respect to business confidential data and implements the necessary security protocols and technologies to ensure access is properly governed in a manner consistent with other IT security processes and technologies.
· Working with various vendors to identify specific technologies worth evaluating, performing a PoC, justifying the purchase, as well as planning and executing the roll-out of the new technology throughout the business.
· Participating in the data domain technical and business discussions relative to future architect direction. Researching and evaluating emerging data technology, industry and market trends to assist in project development and/or operational support activities.
· Effectively communicate technical analyses and evaluation results to D&A and Functional leadership and presenting findings to the Data Governance Council.
· Working on various projects as the technical expert in areas such as data acquisition, data engineering, data visualization and predictive analytics.
· Maintaining data architectural artifacts and ensuring that all measures for data quality, data profiling, data governance, ITIL, security and compliance of data are adhered to.
· Coaching and mentoring other team members.
· Performing variety of in-depth data analysis, data modeling, and data design tasks on data sets.
· Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems, Information Technology (IT), Computer Science, or Engineering from an accredited college or university
· Minimum of 5 years of experience in Data Analytics, Data Warehousing or Business Intelligence (BI) reporting including related technologies such as relational data bases, ingestion, reporting, and predictive analytics
· Minimum of 8 years of experience in IT projects / teams
· Minimum of 5 years of experience in an information systems design, implementation or operations
· Minimum of 3 years application development experience
· Legal authorization to work in the US is required. GE may agree to sponsor an individual for an employment visa now or in the future if there is a shortage of individuals with particular skills.
· Strong interpersonal, and leadership skills, with proven abilities to communicate complex topics to leaders and peers in a simple, clear, plan oriented manner
· Experience with and knowledge of Business Intelligence or Predictive Analytics design principles and processes including data modeling, logical and physical database design, data ingestion and transformation.
· Experience with data mining, statistical analysis and other advanced analytics techniques a plus.
· Deep understanding and experience in data organization utilizing various storage technologies such as relation databases, columnar databases, Hadoop/Hive, etc.
· Demonstrate proficiency with data modeling concepts and tools (e.g., ERWin, ER Studio, etc.) to model and implement data access layers for reporting, data discovery, metadata management, and data services.
· Proficient in SQL, HiveSQL, setting up ODBC/JDBC connections, and use of various data acquisition tools and technologies such as MS Access, SQL Developer, Alterix or DataIku, etc.
· Understanding of data visualization strategies used to illustrate information and tell a story through dashboards including hands on experience using tools such as QlikView/QlikSense, Tableau, Sisense, etc.
· Expertise in data technologies - RDBMS (MySQL), MPP (Greenplum), Big Data (Hadoop), NoSQL (HBase, Cassandra)
· Experience with metadata cataloging and lineage tools a plus
· Familiarity with cloud products and strategies
· Strong team player, with the ability to collaborate well with others, to solve problems and actively incorporate input from various sources
· Demonstrated customer focus, with the ability to evaluate decisions through the eyes of the customer, build strong customer relationships, and create processes with customer viewpoint
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to communicate in a clear and succinct manner and effectively evaluates information/data to make decisions
· Ability to anticipate obstacles and develop plans to resolve those obstacles
· Change oriented, with the ability to actively generates process improvements, support and drives change, and confront difficult circumstances in creative ways
· Resourceful and quick learner, with the ability to efficiently seek out, learn, and apply new areas of expertise, as needed
· Highly self-motivated with the ability to work independently
· Good organization, coaching and interpersonal skills, combined with effective leadership, decision-making, and communication
· Strong oral and written communication skills (English)
· Strategic and clear thinking to translate discreet and complex ideas to business-driven results
· Detail-oriented with a strong drive to enforce common standards
· Demonstrated acceptance and adherence to high ethical, moral, and personal values
As a division of General Electric Company, GE Transportation is a global technology leader and supplier to the railroad, mining, marine, stationary power, and drilling industries. We drive change and progress — by rail and across oceans. We go farther and dig deeper, with advanced technology that connects people, data and machines, so resources can be gathered, goods can be transported and economies can thrive. We're passionate about making life better with new ideas and technologies. We're diverse, supporting our communities in many countries around the world. Experience personal growth and competency development as part of the GE Transportation team.
GE Transportation is headquartered in Chicago, IL, and employs approximately 9,000 employees worldwide. Learn more about GE Transportation today!
To stay connected with exciting news and the latest job opportunities from GE Transportation at http://www.getransportation.com, or follow us on twitter at
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is anEqual Opportunity Employer . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening.