GE Gas Power
Gas Power Engineering
The Lead Software Architect collaborates with a team of controls and system engineers developing operational software for various subsystems. The position requires a comprehensive understanding of software development processes while being proficient in gas turbine technology and controls system deployment. This role requires strong cooperation with subject matter experts, systems, and subsystem teams necessary for command and control of the gas turbine.
As the Software Architect, Controls Technology you will:
· Collaborate with system and subsystem leads to define and develop top level software requirements, architecture and designs. Interact with Control & Thermal Engineering and to understand how to support, enhance, configure, and architect their applications.
· Facilitate decisions and bring teams together to design and document software architecture, modularity, testability and future-proofing
· Lead development of proofs-of-concept to prove out strategy and manage development and product risks. Act as the sole developer of a software application when necessary.
· Spearhead software design reviews and ensure software adherence to standards / architecture principles
· Champion testing and validation of critical architecture and interface requirements for real time controls system software as well as application tools
· Own production of technical documentation for software architecture, design, verification plans
· Contribute to multi-generation product and tool planning
· Collaborate with internal customers / users in a global environment to fully understand user stories and use cases
· Own and manage multiple products at once, including the maintenance of legacy applications
· Create customized product documentation for fellow developers as well as users
· Work in an Agile development environment
· Lead and mentor software and development engineers
· Stay current on software technologies available from the Open Source community and effectively communicate opportunities to leverage such technology
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or in “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) from an accredited college/university
· A minimum of 4 years of professional experience in software development (enterprise, web-based, SOAs, etc) or Master’s degree with 2 years of experience in software development
· Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job
· Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen
· Must be willing to travel to GE and customer sites (up to 20%)
· Experience leading Edge App development in the Power industry
· Working knowledge of software design patterns, test-driven development practices, and modern coding principles
· Apply principles of SDLC and methodologies such as CI, Software and Product Security, Scalability, Documentation Practices, Refactoring, and Testing Techniques
· Hands-on experience with the following:
o Creating and consuming REST web services.
o Build automation tools and package managers
o RDBMSs such as Postgres
o Spring Framework
o Messaging protocols such as MQTT
o Docker and container technology
o Linux OS familiarity
· Understanding of real-time system capabilities and limitations
· Graduate degree in Computer Science or in “STEM” Majors
· Power generation domain expertise – understanding of gas turbine and combined cycle power plant technology and operation
· Highly motivated, energetic, confident, self-starting personal characteristics
· Excellent communication skills and the ability to interface with leadership with confidence and clarity
· Influences through others; builds direct and "behind the scenes" support for ideas
· Strong problem-solving abilities and capable of articulating specific technical topics or assignments
· Identifies opportunities and actively pursues appropriate changes with the input & support of the team
· Able to work well with global teams, including time-zone flexibility
· Skilled in providing oversight and mentoring team members
GE drives the world forward by tackling its biggest challenges. By combining world-class engineering with software and analytics, GE helps the world work more efficiently, reliably, and safely. GE people are global, diverse and dedicated, operating with the highest integrity and passion to fulfill GE’s mission and deliver for our customers. www.ge.com
At GE's Gas Power, we're pushing the boundaries of what's possible within gas power generation to help our customers achieve the right balance between power plant performance and environmental sustainability. Our world-class portfolio of gas power systems and services utilizes the centuries of experience and has expanded across the entire plant
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is anEqual Opportunity Employer . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).