FTTS – Assistant Manager
Our National Tax and EY EDGE practice is made up of a team of professionals providing specialized tax technical services to both US and global clients. EDGE stands for Exceptional Delivery and Growth Engine because this team operates in a technical environment with deep process and service delivery experience that distinguishes EY in the marketplace.
When you join EY EDGE, you’ll be at the heart of EY’s critical mission to build a better working world by applying your knowledge, skills and experience in assisting clients in meeting their business objectives. You will learn, grow and contribute — building new relationships and discovering the satisfaction that comes with producing high-quality, valued work and advice.
Your key responsibilities
You’re likely to spend your time on a diverse array of projects, responsibilities and tasks, supporting client engagements by participating in day-to-day interactions with team members, providing a quality work product and driving delivery of services to meet deadlines. You will support the Fiduciary/Trust Tax Services practice with the preparation and delivery of tax information statements, tax returns and related reporting for agency, custody and fiduciary accounts for tax compliance engagements with banks, wealth management firms, trust companies and law firms. You’ll be working in a highly collaborative culture, where listening to and sharing information with colleagues is an essential part of the role.
Skills and attributes for success
· Timely, efficient and accurate support of the production of tax information statements, tax returns and related reporting in a volume-driven environment within deadline-driven time frames established by governmental agencies and as dictated by the performance standards set forth by the practice’s clients
· Balancing time between multiple projects and responsibilities, working with multiple engagement teams to serve multiple clients
· Learning the differences between various trust accounting systems and how to obtain account data, evaluating the accuracy of such data, and applying knowledge of tax laws and regulatory guidance to make recommendations supporting accuracy in tax reporting
· Analyzing bridged account data to identify potential errors and omissions and applying knowledge of basic tax concepts to make decisions and take action to modify tax coding or reporting pertaining to assets, transactions, income, expenses, and beneficiary allocations to support accuracy in tax reporting
· Support billing for tax compliance and related services
· Basic client data review related to account, beneficiary and transaction data to identify and correct data bridging errors or omissions based upon professional judgement, informed by training and provided documented guidance
· Assist engagement team with reconciliation of client account database and tax filings to ensure complete, accurate and timely filing of tax returns; identifying and resolving reconciliation discrepancies
· Routinely communicating with immediate supervisor and colleagues to obtain guidance and instruction pertaining to performance of tax compliance activities, provide updates on status of work, and discuss recommendations concerning correction of client bridged-data to support accuracy and consistency in tax reporting
· Reconciling routine billing discrepancies
To qualify for the role you must have
· Bachelor degree or equivalent experience (Accounting, Business, Finance or equivalent degree preferred)
· At least 1 year of experience
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and ability to learn other software applications
· Basic knowledge of tax software applications, tax compliance and information reporting rules
· Ability to work effectively both independently and with a team, assist with a variety of projects of varying degrees of complexity
· Leverage knowledge gained through education and on-the-job experience as well internal and external training and coaching to perform essential functions of the job
· Excellent organizational and verbal/written communication skills
· Ability to follow a standardized process and ask questions when needed
· Prioritization of assignments to ensure appropriate workflow and timely production of client deliverables
· Commit to periodic travel (5-10%)
Ideally, you’ll also have
· Experience in a professional services environment
· A proven record in fiduciary tax and a thorough understanding of fiduciary tax laws and concepts required to prepare US federal and state returns
· Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
· The ability to adapt your work style to work with both internal and client team members
· A proficiency in trust tax software
What we look for
We’re interested in tax professionals with a genuine interest in providing outstanding services to some of the world’s most influential people.Working with people from all backgrounds, from executives and entrepreneurs to investors and families, you’ll use your experience and status as a trusted advisor to maintain and further our reputation for excellence.
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive compensation package where you’ll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package includes medical and dental coverage, both pension and 401(k) plans, a minimum of 15 days of vacation plus 10 observed holidays and 3 paid personal days, as well as a range of programs and benefits designed to support your physical, financial and social well-being.
Plus, we offer:
· Support, coaching and feedback from some of the most engaging colleagues in the industry
· Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
· The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that’s right for you
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we’re using the finance products, experience and systems we’ve developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. And with a commitment to hiring and developing the most passionate people, we’ll make our ambition to be the best employer by 2020 a reality.